Is this mold and is my beer doomed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zteelblade

Reaction score
I noticed today (bottling day) that there has been some white growing stuff on my philly sour raspberry sour beer. Those white things seem to be on the top of raspberries.
Never had this thing happened before. Maybe this is because when i added oak chips as last addition, some air got into bucket?
Also it is way hotter than normal and the beer been standing in hot summery room temperatures for last 5 days.
Last time I checked was few days ago and then all looked ok.
I pressed the bucket a bit and the smell that came out was ok, no detectable smell of "mold" yet at least.
Is this most likely gone bad or is there a chance to save this still? Any tips how to proceed from here? Today was supposed to be the bottling day...

And everything that has gone into the bucket has been sanitized (oak chips, raspberries).

20220628_124647.jpg

20220628_124616.jpg

Is it normal? What it is in that case?
It's a little hard to tell, but shapewise it looks like yeast rafts or the forming of a pellicle. Either is harmless, but the pellicle is typically formed by wild yeasts. Could have been some living on the raspberries. A pellicle may grow and cover the surface, yeast rafts don't.
Leave it be, you're souring, weird things can happen, and you don't want to disturb the headspace. Air/Oxygen exposure is to be be avoided.

Mold will almost always look dry and powdery or fuzzy on top when you look at it close up. It'll also be growing on virtually every surface available to it, including the surfaces of the FV itself.

Usually the bad stuff is blackish green or greenish black.

Ok, bottled it, taste seemed to be as intended. So I guess it wasn't anything nasty.

Maybe I slightly panicked as I never seen anything other than krausen on top of my fermenter.

Ok, bottled it, taste seemed to be as intended.
Good to hear! Did you put a strainer on the bottom of the racking cane?

Last year I tasted a "Flanders Red" made with the Philly Sour yeast. It was remarkable how intensely sour it was. Of all the (sour) beers in the lineup (about 10 of them), it was certainly the most sour one. ;)

BTW, how long was it on the raspberries?

Good to hear! Did you put a strainer on the bottom of the racking cane?

Last year I tasted a "Flanders Red" made with the Philly Sour yeast. It was remarkable how intensely sour it was. Of all the (sour) beers in the lineup (about 10 of them), it was certainly the most sour one. ;)

I did siphon beer trough hop filter just in case (also because there are raspberry seeds on the beer)
And I do like philly sour a lot :) Very simple single strain for making very sour beer. Been making a lot of goses with it as well. This was a first time I had such white spots.
> You mean white spots? I think max 2 -3 days. I checked it on weekend, cant remember which day.

:D Need to try that after a few beers next time.
With his inspiring name and marvellous avatar, you forgot to ask Gilbert Spinning Horse what it is saying to him.
(Personally, I have had tea leaves, palms, and entrails as well as vegatable soup readings... not to advocate or debunk supestition, but purely for fun. ;) )

No chance whatsoever that it says "42". You can see it in the picture. No 4, no 2, no forty-two.

There is a 3, 8, 0, b, W or P, M and some other stuff! :bigmug:

No chance whatsoever that it says "42". You can see it in the picture. No 4, no 2, no forty-two.

There is a 3, 8, 0, b, W or P, M and some other stuff! :bigmug:
But in the pic: In the unfasionable end of the western spiral, do I see 6 x 9 ?

Back