Is This Lacto?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Profes

Reaction score
Hey all I opened my fermenter recently of a chocolate stout and saw white clumps on the top a few days later I opened it again and it seemed like a thin film had started to grow on top. Here is a picture does this look like Lacto to you?

Should I just bottle it anyway? It tastes quite bitter, but this is my first time making this beer recipe so could be fine....

lacto.jpg

It looks like lacto to me. If you're going to drink it fairly fast, might be ok?

A few of my beers had this last year which I think was due to me being a bit sloppy when recovering yeast from bottle dregs. Some of them never really got an assertive lacto character even after aging and actually ended up quite good.

It is an infection. It is impossible to tell what kind of infection it is without a microscope and a degree in micro biology. Just looking at a pelicle is not a way to identify the infection.

Accidental infections rarely work out well.

I would not bottle it. The infection could continue to work and produce bottle bombs. If you can spare the fermenter, let it ride for a while and taste it.

Hey all I opened my fermenter recently of a chocolate stout and saw white clumps on the top a few days later I opened it again and it seemed like a thin film had started to grow on top. Here is a picture does this look like Lacto to you?

Should I just bottle it anyway? It tastes quite bitter, but this is my first time making this beer recipe so could be fine....

View attachment 362435

I agree with not bottling it because the gravity may not be stable...also how much headspace is in that bucket??? Looks like a ton!

Ye there is a lot of headspace as I was testing a recipe, but I realise now that is an easy way to get an infection?

Back