Is this label a little racist?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seems to me that 8 or 9 out of 10 peeps who play offended by things that are not directly racist are those looking to get something from the "ordeal" even if it's just attention or getting to play victim. Just my $0.02. Having said that, if someone does do or say a directly racist comment or action then they should be dealt with on it. Yeah, I know, who's the judge as to where the line is drawn, right?

Musician? He was the mayor of the District.

What district? Not DC - there's never been a Barry Rye mayor. Are you thinking of Marion Barry?

I like the label, I just have no idea if I'm supposed to know the name Barry Rye and there's some deeper joke or tribute that I'm not cool enough to understand.

A review on Beer Advocate refers to soul hits of the 70s, but they've got to be thinking Barry White, and the picture on the label doesn't anything like Barry White.

If its some name they just made up, then I'm just offended that they didn't come up with something more clever. :)

I find this obsession with political correctness deeply offensive...... far more so than the shallow and harmless supposedly racist & sexist speech / expression they "PCP" are constantly attacking. It is a threat to freedom of thought and of expression. One more tool in the drive toward conformity and uniformity. It's exactly the sort of behavior we condemned so loudly in the Soviet Union and other "not free" countries over the years. This kind of hypersensitivity is unrealistic and results in a climate of fear. An environment were we are afraid to speak in public, even to think "unworthy thoughts". You cannot speak truth if it doesn't match the way things are supposed to be. An example would be the recent uproar in Florida where nobody dared speak the truth that the area suffers from a LOT of property crime, and nearly all the perps matched the profile of the "victim". Dare to say that and everybody on the room would pounce on you at once! Another example was the lead up to the invasion of Iraq, where you could speak the facts that were apparent, and the flag wavers would all jump on you spewing Fox "News" garbage. Non conformity of thought was not tolerated, or at least brought loud condemnation.
One thing I've learned over the years is that the majority is nearly always wrong!! Which unfortunately does not bode well for our system of government.

H.W.

No, it isn't racist. I don't see how it denigrates anyone in any way, shape or form... much less for his race.

From here on out I would appreciate if the rules on hbt were changed so that any reference to color was censored. I think it is wrong to use color as a descriptor of any kind. I am going to pursue the bjcp standards and get the category names changed to take color out of beer......
/sarcasm

People get to caught up trying to find problems with everything. To those who called him African american... what tribe.in Africa is the guy on the label from? Id bet he was just a drawing based on an american. He fit the label just fine.

The real question is why wasn't it a woman on the label? A woman can't have the name Barry?!

Lets stop calling people black, white, etc and just refer to them by their SRM value.

Latest posts

Back