Is this Brew Bag too coarse a mesh?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

North_of_60

Reaction score
F2DEC7CC-F318-4C79-9FCD-39C2180A63F3.jpeg

I bought this at a LHBS. It seems to be quite a bit coarser mesh than the one I made out of voile curtain material. I sold that one along with the rest of my brewing stuff when I moved. This bag is plenty tough and well constructed. Do you think this material is too coarse?

The 3 brews I have done with this bag have a lot more trub than I was getting with my previous bag. I’m thinking of buying one of Wilserbrewer’s bags. Are they a finer mesh?

That is much more coarse than Wilser's bags, but it's not a total loss. The coarse mesh is actually better for siphoning though. It's also fine for adding additives, like fruit or nibs. I have both types and find more uses for them both all the time.

I know it's a bit of a step from simple BIAB but if you recirc your mash water through it then the grain bed clears up like in a normal mash tun

Here's the Wilserbag fabric (recommended, btw). So yes, it is much finer than the bag you have.
IMG_20180510_125102_037.jpg

Back