Is this bad?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shinebox97

Reaction score
Quick question folks. Would it be bad to use a yeast starter that is 6 days old? Thanks in advanced. If this has been answered before I apologize.

If I am making a large starter (2L plus) I will usually let it ferment completely out, which takes several days. Then I will put it in the fridge for a couple days to settle out and decant the liquid off, just pitching the slurry (and a small amount of the liquid). So to answer your question, I think you will be fine.

I've made 3 batches on starters that are between 7 and 10 days, and all have turned out good! =) Use it!

So, to continue with this thread, how old of a starter could one use? The starter I made in late April is still sitting in the cabinet, so it is now over a month old. I'm thinking of throwing another pint of wort into the starter for my brewing tomorrow. Should I not bother and just purchase another vial of yeast?

Thanks.

So, most of you guys let your starter go through all 4 phases, then pitch it ?

I usually make a starter about 24 hours in advance of pitching.

I do remember building starters from an extremely small sample from liquid yeast and it taking over a week to get 1/4" sediment on the bottom of a 1 liter Erlenmeyer flask.

BTW, I use a magnetic stirrer for all starters - makes a big difference in time saved.

I guess it does make more sense to let it go through all 4 phases, refrigerate to settle it out, decant most liquid, then pitch.

Thanks

I've used starters that were two weeks old. I just decant the liquid, add some of the wort from my batch, and let that go overnight to rouse the yeast.

Back