Is this a good pot to start going AG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
60 Qt is plenty big enough.

Trying to think of some other sites, I've seen similar pots for even less.

More than ample for any 5 gal brew, for 10 gal you'll have to watch it like a hawk but is will still do the job

Pretty much everything that's aluminum is sold as "heavy duty" it's meaning less unless they say what gauge it is

I don't even entertain the notion of aluminum. If you are serious about brewing, spend a few dollars extra and get stainless steel.

SP-10 seems like a good burner, but I believe I am going to step up to the KAB6, rock solid performance, and big enough to do a keggle safely.

I don't even entertain the notion of aluminum. If you are serious about brewing, spend a few dollars extra and get stainless steel.

SP-10 seems like a good burner, but I believe I am going to step up to the KAB6, rock solid performance, and big enough to do a keggle safely.

I'd like to ask why? I think I know the "reason", but this could be interesting.

I'd rather have a 15.5 gallon keggle then a $70 aluminum pot. I just don't like aluminum, don't like having the oxidizing layer, don't like the feel of it.

I'd like to ask why? I think I know the "reason", but this could be interesting.

I don't like aluminum. I don't cook with it, and I don't make beer with it.
Interesting enough for ya??

Possibly you were expecting a diatribe about the dangers of aluminum? The off flavors?? The oxidation issues?? The durability, dentability, scratchability?? The spectre of Alzheimers??
Not today.

.....but....anyone ever raise these issues about stainless steel??;)

I worry about cleaning aluminum easily; if it's got a layer of oxide, it's fine. But using starsan in it or a scrubby green sponge that's safe on stainless might be iffy; my initial thought is that after such treatment I'd want to boil some water in it to rebuild that oxide layer, and that's a moderate PITA.

That said, I think aluminum can be brewed in just fine with a little care. Personally I'd rather spend a couple of extra bucks and not be so concerned about exactly how I clean it (or need to re-boil water in it after cleaning to reoxidize the outer layer), but it's possible those concerns are overblown.

I have an aluminum pot, SS pot, and SS keggle.

SS pot is the worst of the bunch, and I wish my keggle were aluminum. No joke.

To to OP, that looks like a fantastic pot. Heavy gauge aluminum pots are the way to go, in my opinion. Light, superior heat transfer, and inexpensive. The concerns about denting or hard to clean are ridiculously overblown (generally perpetrated by those that have little experience with aluminum pots).

To to OP, that looks like a fantastic pot. Heavy gauge aluminum pots are the way to go, in my opinion. Light, superior heat transfer, and inexpensive. The concerns about denting or hard to clean are ridiculously overblown (generally perpetrated by those that have little experience with aluminum pots).

Absolutely the case. Well built aluminum pots will hold up every bit as well as stainless steel. As far as off flavors, no one who brews with aluminum on a regular basis has ever had issues with off flavors.

I have two stainless pots 11 and 20 gal. I also have two alum pots, a 15 and a 20...I actually recently passed over a $25 legal sankey while visiting riverhorse brewery. Not sure why, no desire to brew in a keg, so I guess, to each their own.

I love my aluminum pot and don't forsee ever moving to SS. Lightweight, boils and cools quickly, and extreme affordability. I don't care a lick about asthetics, nor about others' perceptions. Aluminum: the choice of a new generation!

wanna sell the stainless??;)

I've never had any issues with both of my aluminum pots. They were cheap and lightweight. I've never had a problem with cleaning them either. To me the secret of brewing is to clean all of your equipment as soon as possible after using it. That pot in question looks perfect.

Back