Is this a good deal on a dual kegerator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m00ps

Reaction score
Hey guys. So ive been looking to get into kegging for some months now. I have currently have NONE of the equipment I need. I basically want 2 5gal kegs along with the equipment to serve them. I don't have an extra fridge for space, but I figured I would address that later and just use my fermentation chamber for now.

I and am looking to either buy what I need piece by piece or as a kit. I've found most kits don't include a co2 tank. I know its more than i originally wanted, but having the kegerator and tap tower would be amazing.

Does anyone thunk this looks like a decent deal? I dont need the absolute lowest price, and getting everything in one package would be convenient. Plus i also have an awesome unibroue LA fin du monde tap handle that I received as a gift for doing a free tasting at a local bar. I'd love to use that...

http://www.kegerator.com/edgestar-...&utm_campaign=cj&mtcpromotion=cj&aff_id=1002

Hi,

I was in the same position a few weeks ago. I think I read the edgestar kegerators have a little trouble maintaining a cooler temp.

I have recently received this kegerator
http://www.beveragefactory.com/draf...or/Kegco_K209B-3_Triple_Faucet_Kegerator.html

and so far, I love it. I did upgrade the taps to perlick taps (on recommendation of people on this forum due to regular taps sticking) and bought a 3-product secondary regulator so I can have 3 kegs at 3 different pressures. It ended up being about $780.

But to answer your question, doesn't look like a bad price at all especially with the kegs. But do some research about that brand of kegerator and read some threads about people's opinions of non-perlick taps to see if you think it'll be worth upgrading.

I'm certainly glad I did a bit more research before ordering!

Hi,

I was in the same position a few weeks ago. I think I read the edgestar kegerators have a little trouble maintaining a cooler temp.

I have recently received this kegerator
http://www.beveragefactory.com/draf...or/Kegco_K209B-3_Triple_Faucet_Kegerator.html

and so far, I love it. I did upgrade the taps to perlick taps (on recommendation of people on this forum due to regular taps sticking) and bought a 3-product secondary regulator so I can have 3 kegs at 3 different pressures. It ended up being about $780.

But to answer your question, doesn't look like a bad price at all especially with the kegs. But do some research about that brand of kegerator and read some threads about people's opinions of non-perlick taps to see if you think it'll be worth upgrading.

I'm certainly glad I did a bit more research before ordering!

hmm ok cool this was the type of info I needed. SO you;d recommend maybe getting a 2-tap kererator from that site and finding the kegs whereever is cheapest? I cant find any kits with kegs there

I can't say anything good/bad about the Edgestar kegerator, other than some people have questioned the build quality and effectiveness of temperature controller.

This thread may be helpful:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/edgestar-vs-nostalgia-vs-kegco-473472/

This thread compares the kegco to edgestar kegerator (among others)
http://www.tailgatepartysite.com/top-10-best-beer-keg-dispensers-aka-kegerators-reviewed/

You can search kegco/edgestar on amazon to see reviews there.

The consensus on this forum seems to be beveragefactory has great customer service - I can attest to that as the regulator I received was faulty, so they sent another one out no questions asked. However, their shipping prices are way too high for most of their stuff.

You can add on kegs to your order at beveragefactory and upgrade taps/regulator if you like.

nb. I have no allegiance to beverage factory, I just love my new kegerator.

Check out Criag's list, I did a quick search in western Kentucky and found three kegerator a for sale, $425 dual tap, $400 single tap and $250 single tap. If you can swing it, find one that will allow you to have three beers on tap and upgrade to perlick faucets, they make a lot of difference.

The best of luck!

Frankly I think you would be better off getting a 5 to 7 Cu Ft chest freezer and converting that into a Keezer.

I have a big commercial grade dippin dots chest freezer that I use for a fermentation chamber. But there's no way I could fit another into my apartment. Plus, I don;t have any of the tools or DIY skills to convert a freezer. I figure I'd end up spending more in total with the power tools I'd need

From searching around, it looks like people just have issues with the thermostat since its factory set at 40F. Apparently you can call the company or find directions online to adjust the thermostat from a few turns of a screw. Using this, it sounds like people have had great results. What's weird is that some of the most recent reviews (past 6 months) dont mention the temp issue and people report temps in the low 30s. Maybe Edgestar is shipping them out already adjusted?

Has anyone heard of fixing the thermostat?

...well I ended up just giving in and buying one last night. The site had an end of the year sale (which included free shipping) ending at midnight. Combine that with the good sale price on the kegerator & kegs, and I just couldnt resist such a bargain. For comparison, I checked shipping costs on other sites and the kegerator unit alone would have been over $100 to ship

anyways, it should be here Friday and I'll try to review the unit for anyone thats interested

well I got it up and running with the first beer almost carbed

For anyone concerned with the temperature issue, it looks like edgestar fixed it. At the coldest setting (6) it has gotten down all the way to 32F. I knocked it back to like 5.5 to get 34-35, I like my beers cold.

Also, I'm not getting any unwanted noisyness from the unit as I've heard others complain about.

I'd also highly recommend the customer support at kegerator.com

I was having issues getting one of my reconditioned kegs that came with my kit to properly seal. After 2min on the phone with them. Bam, FREE KEG. Plus, I'm pretty sure I located the issue to a single o-ring at the post, so I'll replace that and I've got 3 kegs

Back