is this a good crush?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdfairbairn

Reaction score
just looking for opinions on the crush from my LHBS ... troubleshooting my efficiency issues ... thanks in advance

ForumRunner_20120421_165745.jpg

From what I can make out I'd say no. I can still see some hulls uncrushed and very little flour material. You want to see some flour in there.

It is hard to tell anything from a 13kb pic, and even then there is a huge divide in opinions. NB swears that you get the best efficiency if 95% of the grains are cracked. On the other hand, my homebrew mentor grinds his own in what he calls a 'fearless grind' and gets 90% efficiency. Numbers like that are hard to argue with....

Very few if any whole grain is what you want...oh and the pics look like tapioca pudding...with pics like that I suggest asking a fortune teller:mug:

edit...crush more

a good 30% appear to be uncrushed to me ... there's a bit of flour in the bottom of the bags but mostly whole and cracked grains. think i'll run these through my corona mill before i brew!

:mug:

I think I have heard enough and don't need to look at the pics...why are you having someone else crush if ya own a mill:confused:

I'm basically lazy lol ... their motorized roller mills are right there while I weigh out the grain! My Corona mill is somewhere in a box still unpacked from our move last spring.

Latest posts

Back