Is This a Crabapple

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elodar

Reaction score
Hey all, been making cider for a couple years now but I am just getting into pressing my own apples. I posted on nextdoor.com that I was looking for someone with a crabapple tree in the neighborhood that would let me have their apples. A neighbor replied and said they "thought" they had a crabapple tree but weren't 100% sure. The wife went with the kids and picked a couple buckets of the "apples". I am pretty sure these are 3/4" crabs but wanted to check with you all and see if I am correct. Take a look at the pics and let me know if you wouldn't mind.
Also, is it better to freeze the apples until I am ready for them or press them now and freeze the juice until I am ready?
Thank you.

IMG_0386.jpg

IMG_0384.jpg

Pictured is a variety of crab apple more often known as a flowering crab. Usually grown as a decorative tree for the color. I've used the fruit for a very clear jelly. Heritage crab apples are of various genetic origins and the apple is not usually over two inches in diameter.

That's an ornamental crab. I doubt it tastes like an apple, but you could taste it and see. The fruit on those is not supposed to be good, since it's a decorative tree and not for fruit.

A crabapple for eating/cider is much much larger, maybe 1/3 the size of a regular apple.

What does it taste like? I'd throw them in; or, make more than one batch and put the crabapples in one and then you can compare to see if they make a difference.

I will taste them when I get home. The wife said they didn't taste bad so I am not sure they have the bite/flavor profile I was looking to add.

Okay, so I tasted them. They are sour almost like a lemon and leave your tongue feeling fuzzy. They are a lot smaller than I thought, about the size of a dime so I don't think I will get much juice from them. From what I have read they sound like the right flavor profile for adding a little punch to my cider. I need to find some real crabapples so I have something to compare these against. I might try pressing a bucket of them and seeing how the juice comes out. Back to searching around the neighborhood. Thanks

They are real crabapples, they're just small. Nope, you won't get too much juice. One trick to try is to grind/mash them up one day. put them in a bucket with the lid on and then press them 24 hours later. Basically let them sit in their own juice with the skins and all for a while. I wouldn't expect too much from anything you get from a yard tree. If it adds a little interest to your existing cider, so much the better.

That is a red-fleshed crab, most red-flesh apples are related. It might give you a pink tinge to your cider, you could crush the apples and leave them at room temp for a day, then juice them. If you do get a nice pink colour, don't use too much campden or it might strip the colour.

I think maximum juice could be had by freezing them whole then pounding them (in a mesh bag) with a sawed off mop handle in a bucket, remove the bag and Wa-La! The cells break thereby releasing all juice to be had.

Latest posts

Back