is there such a thing as Belgian pils extract?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homebrewertodd

Reaction score
Hi, I'm trying to brew a recipe that calls for Belgian pils, I want to convert this from all grain to extract, and the Belgian is the base. I can't seem to find the extract online. Does anyone know if it exists, and if so where and how can I get my hands on some? Thanks.

I think your going to be hard pressed to find that here in the states. Monday morning I will call a few of my vendors and ask. I know Briess doesn't make it in LME or DME and nither does Muntons. But I seem to remember a company called Eddie or Teddie or maybe even Mangrove Jacks or something like that that made a Belgian pilsner LME a while back. Coopers may make a kit of Belgian beer in a can, that you can use.
Cheers
Jay

I heard an add on Brew Strong for Williams brewing saying that they had a Belgian extract - though I don't recall what exactly was in it. Perhaps you should check it out.

Does belgian pilsner Amit taste any different than American pilsner malt?

Just steep the Belgian Pils if you can get your hands on that. What yeast are you going to use? I ask because really that is where most of your "Belgian" profile is going to come from anyway.

I've seen pale extract subbed in other conversion recipes, so I don't think it exists.

I had to sub pilsen DME (Briess?) when I wanted a pilsner base malt in an extract beer. Northern Brewer has pilsen liquid extract as well as the dry. Both would be light colored, but not 100% pilsner malt. They would work fine, though.

I'm using wlp545, strong belgian, I need it for two reasons. First it will withstand the 11 abv this brew is, second, it has the spicy profile I need for this brew. I did see the Belgian in Williams site, but didn't know if it could be used in a Belgian pilsner recipe like this. All the pilsner lme I'm finding is German. I was told there is a slight taste difference between the two. If anyone can find Belgian pilsner dme, and lme, I don't care what it costs. I new a total of nine pounds. Thanks. Other wide, ill sub with what you guys recommend and hope for the best. Thanks for all the help guys, and girl, lol.

I've used belgian pilsner before. I don't think the taste is really that different from german pilsner. Not so much that I would pay outlandish amounts for it.

Any chance you can be convinced to do a partial mash? If you have a couple pots (your kettle plus a normal stock pot or large sauce pan) you could buy the belgian pilsner malt and a straining bag and do a partial mash BIAB-style. You could partial mash as much as you can fit in your pots and either do it again or supplement the partial mash with regular pilsner extract.

I tried something like biab last batch, and it didn't turn out anything like I wanted it to. That why I've converted it. If I can't find what I want, ill substitute as necessary. At this point, I'm gonna have to change the base a little, but everything else is available.

Back