Is there really a 'Beer God"?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RootsDr

Reaction score
Just started fermenting my 3rd batch of beer (7 Bridges Red Ale)...but the story revolves around my 2nd batch of beer - which I bottled about 15 months ago...unfortunately, it never carbonated due to may lack of adequately securing the caps (did not heat the cap prior to clamping...dumb.) But, not quite being ready to part with them, I kept them (about 30 22oz'rs) in boxes, in a cool,dry,dark place. Having no 'other' homebrew available while brewing this latest batch, I started cracking these old guys...and wham! Carbonated!...a bunch of them (none have ever been, as Ive tried a few random samples along the way) And...the beer tastes good...not great...but, good. Dark red, with a nice head. Has this happened to anyone else? Is my judgement clouded by a homebrew haze, or ...is there really a 'Beer God'?

I'm not sure what you mean by not heating the caps. You should just be able to just cap them. Sounds like you just weren't patient enough at first. Good thing you held on to them though!

Yes, there is a beer god.

Ninkasi is the Sumerian beer god (Sumerians have the first written recipe for beer in history), however there are many, many others....

I always do a toast to the beer gods when I am done with a batch. :)

I don't know how Eris will feel about me having another God, but I hope She'll understand.

I still think Hymn to Ninkasi would be an awesome album title.

Oh, and +1 for you don't need to heat the caps/patience.

You have now angered the beer gods by questioning their existence. If I was you I would take some extra time sanitizing that next batch.

I don't know how Eris will feel about me having another God, but I hope She'll understand.

I still think Hymn to Ninkasi would be an awesome album title.

Oh, and +1 for you don't need to heat the caps/patience.

I'm pretty sure you mean Eros.. Eris wouldn't mind so much as she is the God of indifference.

The HBT IRC needs to come up with a sport of making fake accounts and posting for help while dropping crazy techniques to see who notices. Like 'oh and I didn't even drop the temp to 120* halfway through the boil - crazy, right?' Combine that with some Revvy baiting ('hydrometers are for sissies'; 'it was only bubbling three times a minute on the fourth day so I dumped it') and that's some good old fashioned fun!

:D

There is also a prayer:

Our lager,
Which art in barrels,
Hallowed be thy drink.
Thy will be drunk,
(I will be drunk),
At home as in the tavern.
Give us this day our foamy head,
And forgive us our spillages,
As we forgive those who spill against us.
And lead us not to inebriation,
But deliver us from hangovers.
For thine is the beer, The bitter and The lager.
Forever and ever,

Barmen

Go pray now...

Can we get back to heating the caps???

Sorry for the confusion...I had bought a large bag of caps...and was told, after awhile, it is a good idea to throw the caps in some hot water (thus heating them) to soften the small rubber seal, to allow for a tight seal...made sense to me, but at that point in the process...I though..."that can't really be necessary." So...i ignored it...and ended up with 5 gallons of flat IPA...or so I thought...

He probably weighs the same as the duck... hmmmm....

I all seriousness... no need to heat the caps, just use a gentle but firm squeeze on the capper. Congrats on your beer.

Maybe we can be nice and just force him to cut down the largest tree in the forest.....

WITH A HERRING!

You have now angered the beer gods by questioning their existence. If I was you I would take some extra time sanitizing that next batch.

That or next brew you pour make an offering to the beer gods and dump a little on the ground. They anger easily.

That or next brew you pour make an offering to the beer gods and dump a little on the ground. They anger easily.

This is a whole new problem...it is called alcohol abuse.

To be serious finally, heating caps is unnecessary.

Latest posts

Back