Is there brett in yeast 3724 Belgian Saison?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveHeff

Reaction score
I've been digging around and I can't seem to find a definitive answer. I have not emailed wyeast, yet, but that's the next step. Does anybody know if there is brett in 3724? There are plenty of forum posts out there about how people think there may be, but they all leave off as cliffhangers. I'm lead to believe, due to Wyeast's website, that there is not any brett in the yeast profile. But since it's a "farmhouse" ale yeast, I'm left wondering. A friend of mine, who has been brewing for 10+ years, mentioned he thought there was brett. Any clues out there?

Thanks, all. I was really worried that I contaminated equipment. So far, it has been as finicky as I've heard. It really likes 74+ degrees F and I'm able to keep it around 75 during the day but it cools during the evening.

I like this strain fermented in the 80's. By far my favorite strain and not finicky if you pitch an adequate amount of healthy yeast and oxygenate well. Tastes good early, but gets really great with time.

With these belgian strains I like to keep the ferm temp constant. I use a ferm wrap heater hooked up to a temperature controller all inside of an insulated box. Then I can crank the ferm temp up to 92 for 3724 :)

And it still stalls out on me after a week, before magically reigniting itself. Amazing yeast, but what a pain sometimes.

Just to wrap this thread up, the beer turned out awesome. I had it in the primary for almost 3 weeks. The last 5 days, I ramped up the temps from 74 degrees F up to 80. It was like magic happened. The airlock began churning, once more. My gravity dropped from 1.022 at day 15, down to 1.014 by day 20. I went straight to the keg from the primary, held it at 30 psi for a couple of days (and shaking the keg to distribute the CO2). Took my first glass out of that keg at day 3. Fantastic right from the start. However, since it's been in the keg for quite a few weeks, it has developed a subtle tartness to it. Freaking fantastic beer. I'm very happy the yeast worked out as well as it did.

Back