Is there an infection in my brew?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tomo_316

Reaction score
Hi,

have been brewing beer kits for a few years.

just opened fermentation bucket to take a gravity reading and found what looks like a white mould.

never happened before?!

would appreciate a second (or many) opinions!

thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 84
Hi, welcome to HBT.

That is called a pellicle. It indicates the presence of wild microbes (and oxygen). We cannot determine which wild microbe(s) may be present without microbiological testing.

It is safe to drink. Give it a smell and taste.

Do you bottle?

Thanks for the quick response!

I was about to take a gravity reading and add some hop pellets to bottle it all on Sunday.

had a small swig, nothing sour going on in the taste.

am I ok to add the hops and carry on?

Yes, it's fine to proceed as normal with a couple caveats:

You'll need to monitor the bottles periodically because there's a small risk of over-carbonation. Open one at least every couple weeks.
If possible, refrigerate the bottles after they carbonate in order to reduce the risk that off-flavors will develop.

These are just precautions, it will likely be fine.

Clean your equipment thoroughly. I suggest a hot PBW soak overnight and an acid rinse afterwards.

Cheers

Are you sure? That doesn't look like pellicles I've seen in other infection threads.

IDK, I'm just wondering.

Thanks so much, that’s good to hear!

bottles will be going out to the shed after a week, it’s still pretty chilly in the uk!
Will be sure to sample a few periodically.

I am using vwp steriliser on my equipment, will this be enough to give it a thorough clean before my next batch?

thanks again

Thanks so much, that’s good to hear!

bottles will be going out to the shed after a week, it’s still pretty chilly in the uk!
Will be sure to sample a few periodically.

I am using vwp steriliser on my equipment, will this be enough to give it a thorough clean before my next batch?

thanks again
Yeah it's snowing right now where I live.

I can't determine what chemicals are in "vwp steriliser", so I can't speak to its efficacy, sorry.

You are using a no-rinse sanitizer too, right?

hmmm, not sure what to make of it being that this thread, was just revived...and this memeber joined today....

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/is-this-normal.663398/#post-8647794

Hmm? Hmmm.

I have only ever used vwp, give all my kit a good soak and a rinse before use. Never had any issues before with this method.

I know starsan is popular in the states but not available in the uk, I think there is something called Chemsan in the uk which does the same.

will have a look at adding this into the process of it’s going to avoid any future issues!

cheers

Vwp contains amongst other ingredients troclosene sodium. This is all it says about the contents on the tub!

Reached my daily post limit now apparently!

Thanks for the info , fingers crossed there’s something drinkable at the end of this!

cheers!

Last edited:
Vwp contains amongst other ingredients troclosene sodium.
That appears to be a chlorine-based disinfectant, probably not the best option for cleaning (and it's why they strongly suggest rinsing).

Some kind of oxygen-based (peroxide, actually) cleanser would be better, like OxiClean or anything with sodium percarbonate.

Hope this helps.

Back