Is there a way to check gravity right after mashing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huntervdg

Reaction score
I'm new to brewing and was wondering if there is a way to check the gravity after mashing so I know I have the right gravity before I start boiling. I also was wondering how to adjust the gravity if I'm to high or low? That is if this is even possible.

Sure. You can take a sample after all is transferred to the kettle. You will need to do some math, cause You probably have 7 gallons, and are going to boil down to 5.5 concentrating and raising the gravity. Make sure you give it a good stir first, and let the sample cool to 68 degrees or whatever your hydrometer is calibrated at.

If its low, you can add a bit of extra light dme, to make it up, or boil down further and make a smaller final volume.

If its high, you can water it down and make a larger batch, or replace some with water. Or not worry about it.

Yes, use a Refractometer. It costs like $25 on Amazon.

They take small samples, several drops and can tell you pre-fermentation gravity. You can put boiling on it, because its only a few drops once you put the cover down after 15-20 seconds the sample will drop to ambient and you can take your reading. You get a BRIX reading that you can convert to gravity, some of them have gravity readings as well so you dont have to do the conversion.

You should take your measurements after its all in your kettle and just starting to boil again, or atleast all in your kettle and stir the living hell out of it for several minutes to make sure that its mixed properly. Too many people dont stir properly and get a reading that is way too high or low because its not mixed.

Doing it after it just started boiling usually results in the liquid mixing up pretty well.

A refractometer is only as good as its calibration though, so spend a dollar or two at the store to get a jug of distilled water to keep it calibrated each brew day.

Thanks everyone this is very helpful. One question about the dme though. Do you just add that right to the brew kettle slowly and just keep checking the gravity until it's where I want it? Of is the a special formula to use to get the gravity I want?

Thanks everyone this is very helpful. One question about the dme though. Do you just add that right to the brew kettle slowly and just keep checking the gravity until it's where I want it? Of is the a special formula to use to get the gravity I want?

There is a formula you can use, figure 42 gravity points per pound of DME per gallon and work the ratio, but roughly 8 points for each pound of DME added to 5 gallons.

I use a refractometer to monitor my mash for conversion completeness using this chart, just enter at your mash ratio and you will see where you should be for full conversion(courtesy of braukaiser.com):

first_wort_gravity-57692.gif

One of the steps in the all-grain for dummies spreadsheet I made myself is:
Compare Pre-Boil Gravity to calculated value - add water or DME to correct
1LB DME per 45 point*gallon deficit (e.g. .005 deficit @ 6 Gal boil -> 5*6=30 point*gallon deficit -> 30/45 -> 2/3LB DME)

In order to not mess with the flavor most people seem to recommend adding this DME as a late addition.

Sure. You can take a sample after all is transferred to the kettle. You will need to do some math, cause You probably have 7 gallons, and are going to boil down to 5.5 concentrating and raising the gravity. Make sure you give it a good stir first, and let the sample cool to 68 degrees or whatever your hydrometer is calibrated at.

If its low, you can add a bit of extra light dme, to make it up, or boil down further and make a smaller final volume.

If its high, you can water it down and make a larger batch, or replace some with water. Or not worry about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

No, with extract you should use a calculator before brewing to determine what gravity you want, and add that much extract. Simple as that.

If it was all-grain, then measurements are helpful because efficiency can vary, but with extract, if you stir it in, then you hit your gravity. The sugars have already been extracted.

Even if you're adding steeping grains, steeping a pound or 2 only adds a negligible amount to ABV, so I wouldn't even worry about your efficiency there until you're done and it's going into fermenter. Not significant enough to bother with during the brew.

Only thing that should really affect extract gravity is your final volume, but you won't know until after boil if you boiled off the target amount, or in the case of many extract brewers, how much water to add to get to the (5 gallon?) line on your fementer.

Back