Is there a trick to cleaning out tubing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheCollector

Reaction score
I always rinse my tubing within 30 minutes of use but for some reason I have some nasty stuff in my tubing... How do you clean that out?
Thanks guys

A good soak in OXY or PBW usually removes most of everything. You can also purchase a small tubing brush with a long handle from a supply shop to scrub if necessary. Personally, tubing is pretty cheap so it's easier to simply replace it when it gets nasty:)

I'm glad I'm not the only one with this problem. I ****ing hate cleaning tubing! :mad:

I let them soak and then use a little "centrifugal force" to dry them... Once they look like there's a film or whatnot, I just replace them

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I just run hot water through them, helicopter them over my head to get most of the water out, then hang them up to dry. If there is sludge in them like the blowoff hose, I'll soak it in oxyclean or dish soap.

What I've done in the past is soak them in oxyclean of PBW and that takes care of the crud. If there is any film left behind from the cleaner I will take a wad of paper towel soaked in hot water and run it through the tubing with a long thin dowel rod. Some people have used an air compressor to force the paper towel wad through the tubing. It works for me!

Heavy weight mono fishing line tied to a piece of cloth. Run some hot water through the tube. Leave it wet. Feed the line through the tube. Dip the cloth in your cleaner. Pull it through the tube. Repeat as needed. Rinse.

If there's gunk in it, run some pbw/oxyclean through it for awhile, then starsan for awhile. Preventative:just rinse it out and let it dry, should be fine.

What kind of tubing are you using? I always found vinyl tubing to be a PITA to clean. Silicone is much better in every regard.

Latest posts

Back