Is there a style you can say you do not like?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rauchbier - nasty stuff brewed in Bamberg, Germany and in Home Brew set-ups world wide.

I'm not crazy about fruit flavoured beer, either.

I tried the Leffe Blonde ale last week. Almost $11 for a six pack. It was worth it though, I almost made five gallons of that stuff. I got the same reaction from others, I don't think I could develope a taste for it.

Barley Wines, hands down. I hate raisins and thus the raisny taste that is associated with the BWs.

BUT, try not to discount a beer until you have had it on 2 totally seperate occasions. More than once i have found myself saying "wow, last time i had this it sucked bad" then i think about what i was doing or eating that could have detracted from the taste ie; hot day grilling and a porter or stout do not mix or eating a desert and drinking a rauch beer.

Rauch beer with ribs or a steak.......................son of a ***** thats good!

Quote from Evan
"Personally...I have yet to find a style that I truly dislike. Even Schlenkerla Rauchbier grew on me."

When I opened that bottle and could smell the wood smoke I thought I would dump it. Instead I bought more!

+1 on Barleywine

Reverend JC said:
BUT, try not to discount a beer until you have had it on 2 totally seperate occasions.

thats the truth. I thought I hated bocks after my first experience with a Double Bock. Turns out, I just hate Sam Adams Double Bock.

Reverend JC said:
Rauch beer with ribs or a steak.......................son of a ***** thats good!

you should try it from the source with a nice plate of sausages and GPS! now that was orgasmic.

haven't had that many barley wines...but haven't found one that i liked yet

most wheat beers....only one or 2 that I have liked

belgain's to forgot I haven't had a belgain i liked

I like all well made beer no matter what the style, with one exception, light lagers, they make me gag.

I've liked every style I've tried so far, although my experience in sour beers/lambics is very limited and a sour beer is not something I could drink on a daily basis. But, I'm willing to try anything once.

sause said:
Hefe-Weissens. They seem so bland to me.

Yet you love Pilsners?
:confused: ;)

I don't like IPA's that are all bitter and nothing else, light lagers or light anything for that matter.

I don't like bock beers or barleywines. Too much stuff going on and just not something i'd ever ask for.

I don't care for Saisons, Hefes or Bocks in general, of course there are always exceptions to the rule

I dislike American wheats, Kolsch, blond ale, and some sour styles like Flanders Red. Also not a fan of oaked or smoked beers, or anything with a bourbon flavor.

I can't believe 7 pages in and no one's mentioned it ...

EDMUND FITZGERALD!!

Can't stand it ... just the thought of it make's me cringe!

Definitely add me to the list of Barleywine haters. My best friend loves them, so I've been forced to "Try this one....it's great!!". Yet to find one I can finish even half a glass of.

Hefeweizens, including any variance in spelling, are pretty bad to me. If I want a glass of banana I'll whip up a smoothie.

American Wheat and Scottish. And Blue Moon Winter Ale. And sulphurus lagers.

Actually, just about all spiced, fruitted beers. Rdwj gave me some cherry wheat that was awesome, but I'm just not into making them. I had a pumpkin beer that tasted like a bottle of pumpkin spice - not good. Not into coffee beers either.

I don't really like any lagers (no smell) and IPAs. I'm writing my dissertation on Pliny the Elder so I tried Russian River's Pliny the Elder double IPA. I want to like it, but it's way too hoppy.

jacobyhale said:
Definitely add me to the list of Barleywine haters. My best friend loves them, so I've been forced to "Try this one....it's great!!". Yet to find one I can finish even half a glass of.

One of my "once I get good at this" brewing goals is to brew a fairly dry barleywine. I like the complexity and maltiness of barleywines, but often find them cloying. I like Old Foghorn, for example, but sometimes even that is too sweet for me. It's situations like that that make me sure I'll keep homebrewing. "I'd like this beer if it didn't have flavor x or if it had less of y in it. Guess I'll make one like that!"

I'd hate to discount an entire style but I've been trying hefes for years and have yet to find one that I truly enjoy. I can of course appreciate what the brewer is trying to accomplish. I guess I just don't care for all of the banana and clove flavors in my beer. We all have different tastes though and I find it hard to believe that anyone truly enjoys every beer style.

<stumpspeech>
To those of you that say that you do not like Belgians you are painting with a pretty large brush.

What you might be saying is that you do not like the Abbey/Trappist styles or the Lambic or Sour styles. Or maybe the Golden Ales.

Perhaps you've had all four of these predominant styles and do not prefer them. Belgium, however supports many styles and there is a wide variation of beeery goodness within each style.

Here is a partial list od examples.

LAMBIC ALE
Gueuze DeNeve
Timmermans Lambic Doux
Faro Vieux Foudre
Lindemans Gueuze
Boon Faro
Mort Subite
Oud Beersel
Gueuze Vigneronne Cantillon
Jacobins Framboise
Cantillon Rose de Gambrinus
Boon Marriage Parfait
Hanssens Gueuze
Vander Linden Frambozenbier

ABBEY/TRAPPIST ALE
Urthel Hibernus Quentum Tripel
Rochefort 10
Westvleteren 12
Val-Dieu Triple
Pater Lieven
Abbeye de Aulne
Witkap Pater Single
Affligem Dobbel
Westmalle Triple
St. Sixtus Abt 12
Ename Tripel
Chimay Grande Reserve
Rochefort 8
Leffe Blonde
Bornem
Augustijn
Orval
Grimbergen Triple

WITBIER
Sara
Troublette
Hoegaarden
Timmermanns Blanche Wit
Blanche de Neiges
Blanche de Bruges
Steendonk
Joseph Spelt Ale
Dentergem
Blanche de Bruxelles
Blanche de Charleroi
Titje

SOUR ALE
Rodenbach Red
Rodenbach Grand Cru
Rodenbach Alexander
Bellegems Bruin
Bacchus
Duchesse de Bourgogne
Goudenband
Petrus
Felix
Oud Zottegems
Vichtenaar
Ichtegem's Old Brown

BROWN ALE
Touffe Brune
Zatte Bie
Caracole
Leffe Brune
Gouden Carolus
Gildenbier
Scotch Silly
Kasteel
Verboden Vrucht
Vondel
Cuvee de Ermitage
Ciney Bruin
La Gauloise
Grottenbier

AMBER ALE
Urthel Tonicum Finiboldhus
Helleketelbier
Vervifontaine Red
Vieux Temps
Artevelde Grand Cru
Pauwel Kwak
Speciale Palm
Houten Kop
De Koninck
Bruegel
Satan Red
Brunehaut Amber

GOLDEN ALE
Hellekapelle
Saxo
Den Ostensche
Duvel
Deugniet
Lucifer
Delirium Tremens
Hoegaarden Grand Cru
Julius
Straffe Hendrick
Brigand
La Guillotine

SAISON
Saison d'Erezee
Black Ghost
Blonde de la pralie
Dupont Vieille Biere
Saison de Pipaix
Vapeur en Folie
Saison 1900
Saison Regal
Silly Saison
Saison d' Epeautre
Fantome

SPECIALTY BEER
Stille Nacht
Bush
Oerbier
Gulden Draak
La Chouffe
Piraat
Cochonette
Biere de Miel

BELGIAN PILS
Maes Pils
Stella Artois
Karibik
Bel Pils

There are some beers that I do not like and I challenge myself to identify precisely why I like or do not like it. We are homebrewers and we should take pride in being knowledgeable about beer and more importantly to be able to communicate to others what they should expect when they taste a particular beer that you have had. Believe me. I am not quite there yet, but I pledge to continue drinking until I am!

I read something in Beer Advocate that I took to heart. Essentially the sentiment was that we as homebrewers should be beer advocates for all beer, not just the ones we like.
</stumpspeech>

More info on Belgian Beers here.
http://www.belgianstyle.com/mmguide/index.html

Fingers said:
Scottish Ale. In all fairness I've only had the one when I was on an import tasting spree, but it turned me off so badly that I haven't been able to bring myself to spend any more money on it. I couldn't believe how much I disliked it. I'd sure like to know what it is in a Scottish that gives it that horrible flavour so I can avoid it in the future.

It may be the diacetyl you don't like or, if they've used peat smoked malt, it could be that.

About the only style that really don't reach for are blond ales and cream ales, although there are some that I like (especially a friend's pre-prohibition cream ale). It's not that they are bad or offend my palate. I just find them uninteresting. I'm not a big fan of American wheats, either, but a good, crisp one with a large wheat bill can be very nice at the right time. A good kölsch is excellent and not all that hard to find (at least, around here, you can get Saint Arnold Texas Wheat, and you can get Pyramid Curveball when it's in season).

About the only other "style" of beer I don't care for are the spin-your-head-around-scrape-IBUs-off-your-tongue-no-malt-balance-high-ABV IIIPAs and other "imperial" styles that rely on shocking the system for any notoriety. Many of those are just bad beers made bigger and hyped.

TL

Fingers said:
Scottish Ale. In all fairness I've only had the one when I was on an import tasting spree, but it turned me off so badly that I haven't been able to bring myself to spend any more money on it. I couldn't believe how much I disliked it. I'd sure like to know what it is in a Scottish that gives it that horrible flavour so I can avoid it in the future.

Which one was it so we can tell you whether to try another with different flavors.
Also most Scottish yeasts will give a smokey flavor that's why people tend to use peated malt in homebrew versions when it's not really needed

olllllo said:
<stumpspeech>
I read something in Beer Advocate that I took to heart. Essentially the sentiment was that we as homebrewers should be beer advocates for all beer, not just the ones we like.

I know this was a broad statement, but from my perspective I just wanted to say I will continue to try to continue searching the beers from this country. There are some you had listed that I may have overlooked in my generalized statement.

I also understand the spirit of the quote above. I cannot say I agree. There is no way you can be an advocate of all beer. You should push craft brew and good beer to those that do not try it, but I will not push something I do not like... maybe it is just me.

Back