Is there a style of beer you DON'T like?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There isn't really any that I dislike but my least favorite I'd say is IPA just because most I find are too harsh for my likings.

Not big on rye. Only had a few different brews with it but just not my cup o' tea err...you know what I mean

American Amber, Märzen, and most Porters (other than Fuller's London Porter).

American Pilsners for me. The BMC type stuff. I can't stand them.

We were just talking about this at work the other day. Not to stereo type,but it seemed that women tended to hate IPAs where men loved them.

... I love Porters, Stouts, red ales, bocks....really anything except IPA. Maybe somebody can recommend an IPA that isn't so harsh?
Oh and it feels good to get that off my chest.

Interesting.. I love IPA, APA, lagers, rye, OK with wheat but NOT Porters, Stouts. They seem more like a food, not a beer to me, even though I know some can be quite dry. Won't even attempt to make them, but can't wait till my temp. controller gets here through the border to get into lagers.

If I had to pick my least favorite it would have to be smoked beers. I had one Rauchbier while in Germany that I really enjoyed, but most others I've tried really just don't do it for me.

Definitely do not like the wit/weizen yeast taste. I think clove taste and banana are gross together as well. I can't get enough ipa's, the bigger the better. I am on a sour kick too right now.

The recent trend of artificial lime-adjunct light American lagers is rather disturbing to me. It's like someone said "Bud light is too boring. I know, lets make it more offensive. Let's make it taste like someone dissolved a bunch of lime candies in it!" Crank up the advertising machine and brainwash the masses into thinking that this is a good idea.

I work for Germans. Their summer party includes a keg of somthing German. To me it is "CLOVE-JUICE". I find no love for it.

No love for jet fuel,er, I mean DogfishHead 120. Dont lite a match around that stuff. To me that is un-drinkable.

To the IPA, APA dislikers - I agree with the suggestion for Lagunitas Lil' sumpin sumpin - that is marvelous elixir! Mix in a Bell's Two Hearted also.

Rye haters. Arcadia Ales, Sky High Rye, So nice - will change your mind!

Wheat haters. Bells Oberon, just a bit of wheat in the recipe, but such a smooth beer, great taste, it's OMG great!

Long live the Brew!

Not much I fail to find drinkable. Light lagers have their place for me, though a good pale ale or Koelsch wins for preference.

I suppose a beer that's still green, or that has some uncorrectable flaw would be a rejecter. Anything with too much "liquid extract" twang. Anything skunked.

In the wine world, I'm apparently very sensitive to a wine that needs degassing. That additional sourness can really put me off, but the good news is that a Vac-U-Vin or something similar puts it right easily.

-Rich

English lager. Carling to be exact. It is just not possible to imagine a beer less worthy of fermentation. But in general all English style lagers.

IPA's, IIPA's, IIIPA's and any abomination that is over hopped in the spirit of "omg, it's so xtreme!"

(Sorry, a bit of a rant - if you're enjoying your IPA then /tip of the hat (but I won't drink it))

I love my wheats/wits/weizens and have gotten into the lagering kick lately....

What you will NEVER catch me brewing or drinking... Imperial anything, IPA's, and most Belgians. I have had a few restrained lighter Belgians that were drinkable, but I fail to remember what they are. Unlikely to ever see me with a porter either.

IPA's, IIPA's, IIIPA's and any abomination that is over hopped in the spirit of "omg, it's so xtreme!"

(Sorry, a bit of a rant - if you're enjoying your IPA then /tip of the hat (but I won't drink it))

Yeah. I mean, some of them are okay, but the carbonated liquified hop beers are just ridiculous. It reminds me of the hot pepper craze where people were gaga over food that tasted like mace.

If you drink a case of this 1000ibu beer, then 100ibu beers will go down like cream ales.

6930082513_ca000d171c_z.jpg

Ok ya that is kind of a loaded question. I personally can't seem to get into the IPAs. I notice everyone on this forum it seems is brewing an IPA of some sort and I've tried quite a few and don't care much for them. Not sure what is wrong with me. I love Porters, Stouts, red ales, bocks....really anything except IPA. Maybe somebody can recommend an IPA that isn't so harsh? I'd love to be able to say I've brewed one.

Oh and it feels good to get that off my chest.

With you on IPAs. I'd also add American light lagers.

to those who dislike "anything with wheat:"

Surely you don't mean any beer with wheat/rye in the grist...That would rule out a ton of excellent commercial beers...black butte porter and great divide's hoss are just a couple of beers that come to mind

Is it safe to say that "anything with wheat" translates to Hefe, roggenbier, Dunkelweizen, wit and weizenbock? Could it just be wit/weizen yeast that you all are not into?

There are some folks in this thread who dislike the wit/weizen yeast, but I doubt that's all of it. I used to love wheat beers, and as time progresses, I'm liking them less and less. And it's not the yeast. I love that characteristic flavor of Belgian yeast. It's just that distinctive overpowering flavor of wheat malt. Used to love it, but the more I drink it, the less I like it. And most wheat beers have 50-60% wheat in the grist, if I understand correctly. However, I accidentally made a beer with 28% wheat in the grist (didn't realize I had bought malts in the wrong ratio until I got home from the LHBS) and I like it a lot. It has that distinctive wheat flavor, but it's very subtle.

So I suspect that a lot of the people who say they hate wheat beers are like me. What they really dislike are beers where wheat makes up 50% or so of the beer. I'm sure they don't mind beers that just use a little for head retention.

The recent trend of artificial lime-adjunct light American lagers is rather disturbing to me. It's like someone said "Bud light is too boring. I know, lets make it more offensive. Let's make it taste like someone dissolved a bunch of lime candies in it!" Crank up the advertising machine and brainwash the masses into thinking that this is a good idea.

You wouldn't mind being a gentlemen and sharing the recipe for that molasses porter would you??

I don't care for Irish, Scottish, and English beer. I used to love wheat beers, but I'm not so into them anymore either. Oh and Asian beers are incredibly boring.

Back