Is there a style of beer you DON'T like?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For me it's hefe's (or any beer with banana flavor) and scotch ales. Matter of fact any ale made with a liquor (i.e. rum ale, bourbon etc) Primarily because I don't like liquor.

My wife will only drink porters, stouts, reds, belgian blacks.

Ok ya that is kind of a loaded question. I personally can't seem to get into the IPAs. I notice everyone on this forum it seems is brewing an IPA of some sort and I've tried quite a few and don't care much for them. Not sure what is wrong with me. I love Porters, Stouts, red ales, bocks....really anything except IPA. Maybe somebody can recommend an IPA that isn't so harsh? I'd love to be able to say I've brewed one.

Oh and it feels good to get that off my chest.

Add me to the list as well. I'll drink ONE from time to time...
but definitely NOT my favorite... don't care for the intense "grapefruit" flavor most have. Those without that hop... I can tolerate, and actually enjoy occasionally.

Not a fan of Sours, and don't care for most Saisons.

Ok ya that is kind of a loaded question. I personally can't seem to get into the IPAs. I notice everyone on this forum it seems is brewing an IPA of some sort and I've tried quite a few and don't care much for them. Not sure what is wrong with me. I love Porters, Stouts, red ales, bocks....really anything except IPA. Maybe somebody can recommend an IPA that isn't so harsh? I'd love to be able to say I've brewed one.

but definitely NOT my favorite... don't care for the intense "grapefruit" flavor most have. Those without that hop... I can tolerate, and actually enjoy occasionally.

but definitely NOT my favorite... don't care for the intense "grapefruit" flavor most have.
Those without that hop... I can tolerate, and actually enjoy occasionally.

but definitely NOT my favorite... don't care for the intense "grapefruit" flavor most have.
Those without that hop... I can tolerate, and actually enjoy occasionally.

I used to hate wheat beers, but they have definitely grown on me. I don't usually order one though. I'll always pick a hop forward beer before I get a wheat because I know I'll enjoy it more.

Imperial stouts and porters...I can't handle that much malt and booze on the palate

You just described my preferences. I LOVE stouts (my very first homebrew is an dry Irish Stout, in the fermenter for 6 days right now), red ales, amber ales, porters, Hefeweizen, really just about anything except IPAs. I've yet to have an IPA that I like, and I've tried dozens, including high end craft brews.

Luckily, even avoiding IPAs until the end of time, I'll never run out of preferred options.

Belgians and Saisons. Don't like the yeast tang, but I love most sours. I am more of don't like certain beers, but there are some in a style that I don't mind, and some styles that I love that have a bad example. I like most fruit beer, but keep the blueberries out of them.

estricklin said:

Goose island green line is a really good ipa not harsh and it's well balanced. It's a gateway IPA. I used to not like IPA but I found out I just don't like overly unbalanced IPA's.

I personally don't care for belgians or saisons either.

Goose island green line is a really good ipa not harsh and it's well balanced. It's a gateway IPA. I used to not like IPA but I found out I just don't like overly unbalanced IPA's.

Green line is a pale ale and I think it is only served in IL on tap.

In the distant past I would've agreed with the anti-wheat, anti-IPA, and even anti-Belgian commenters. After many more years and a lot of beers that changed my mind, no, there is no style I don't like, and I currently drink primarily those styles I used to avoid.

MisterTipsy said:
Green line is a pale ale and I think it is only served in IL on tap.

My bad. You're correct on it only being served in IL too. But I've never seen it outside of Chicago.

wow, had no idea the wheat got so little love! i don't drink hefe's that often (funny, i was just thinking to myself that it's an under appreciated style that is ripe for messing with) but i just brewed one i like. more for me then!

i don't really like scotch ales. they just seem syrupy to me. brown ales too, other than DFH's.

Typically I don't like scotch ales or oaked beers and just avoid them. I really don't like the banana, clove, bubble gum flavor in my beer and avoid that too.

I don't like reds or belgians but am always on a quest to find ones that I do like. I am picky about lagers, love IPA's, sours, fruit beers, wheats (not Banana/clove/bubble gum), Ryes, stouts/porters, browns, rauche, lambic- pretty much everything else.

MrOrange said:
I'd have to say that I am surprised at how many people don't like wheat beers. I am a huge fan of most beers and I don't think there is a style I wouldn't drink twice, at least not one that I have run into yet.........unless you wanted to include malt liquor :)

This. I have some styles I like more than others, but the only thing I flat out can't stand across the board is malt liquor.

I'm not partial to the common (in the US) fruit lambics I've had (Lindemans and such), but I love a well done one.

I would have to say that I like all styles of beer (yes, I've even had a damn good Light American Lager in a comp once). BUT, the beer has to be properly made.

To all of you who don't like lambics or wheat beers: Hooray! More for me!!! :D

I'm not a fan of lagers or most things with roasted barley.

I don't care for wheat beers at all, with a few exceptions. I'm not a huge fan of Rye beers either. I've only had a few rye beers, but none of them were that impressive to me

Not a fan of a lot of stouts... Have only tried one fruit beer and it was awful! I really wanted to like it, but I couldn't. Abita Strawberry.. blech

I can't stand beers with fruit. Blueberry, banana, blahhhhhhh. Maybe I just haven't tried the right ones, but so gross.

I don't really care for some of the 'big' belgians with the sky-high alcohol content that have that alcoholy taste too them. Troegs Mad Elf for example. Some of them are okay but I'm usually disappointed.

I've also found I dislike pretty much every mass-market beer that's in green bottles.

Anything sour. I can like a funky Belgian, but once it starts getting tart and fruity I'm out. I always keep a lambic on hand in case I swallow some poison.

Most everything else is fine.

I've enjoyed every style I've tried, given that the beer was stored and served properly.

I've found that most people that dislike a certain style haven't had a good example of the style. Like all those who don't like "wheat beers". Have they had a fresh one while in Germany? Have those who don't like English Bitters had one in a pub in England? I'm sure some have, and that's fine, but take into consideration that a lot of beer in the stores isn't stored properly, or may have had to travel a long way to get to your store. A lot of bad things can happen to good beer while en route to your local beer store/bar...

I haven't had any wits I liked yet- but I'll keep trying them until I do. I'm not a big fan of spiced beers in general, although that's not a style, it's most of the reason wits aren't for me. Apart from that, I love pretty much everything since my "lager rediscovery" period about a year ago. Before that it was pretty much ales only- not sure why. There are a few styles I feel like very few people do well, like American Red and Amber ales, but that's not a problem with the style, it's a problem either with the brewers or my palate.

I'd have to say fruit beers. But, mostly it's just beers with fruit for the sake of having fruit. There are the few fruit beers that are well thought out and balanced. They still aren't my first choice of beverage, though.

Back