is there a siphon holder somewhere?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maylar

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Does anybody make a brace or something that will allow you to suspend a siphon into a plastic fermenter bucket? I'm thinking of a plastic bar of some sort that would span the bucket and let you position the siphon where you want it and at what depth. I have the clip style but that only lets you attach to an edge.

I use a tall red head...."Hey Baby! Come here and hold this for me!" Sometimes it works, some times it doesn't.

What does seem to work is a couple of rubber bands and a stainless steel bar-b-q skewer...I rubber band it to the bottom of my siphon tube...and leave how much I need sticking past the bottom of the siphon tube (using an auto siphon). I can easily lower the bottom of the tube with a little push.

I normally just hold mine (it doesn't take that long). To get the siphon started I've taken to clamping it to the side of the bucket up high using a woodworking clamp (sanitized of course). I guess I'm just too cheap to buy a special tool for 10minutes of cold fingers.

Yes. They make a plastic piece that snaps onto the siphon and has a hook that goes over the side of the bucket or carboy. It will let you adjust up or down but not across. Don't know what it's called but picked one up at my LHBS for a couple of bucks.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/1-2-auto-siphon-clamp

Here is a link to one. I think it is for the larger auto siphon.

If you dont mind a little bit of waste, a small sheet of aluminum foil will do a decent job of holding the siphon in place. I just crumple it up really tight on the siphon tube after positioning it where I want it in the fermenter to avoid pulling too much trub.

I always have aluminum foil on hand for starters or for short term covers on my carboys (when its a beer thats not going to be in there very long before bottling).

I have the plastic clip thingie but I'd really like to have both horizontal and depth control so I can pick the spot where the lees is lowest.

Guess I'll hafta find a tall redhead..

Guess I'll hafta find a tall redhead..

I've been looking for one of those for a while. Only found two, one wasn't interested, and the other played for the other team.

Still looking, though.

I use a large metal binder clip from an office supply store. Clip it to the rim of the bucket, fold down one of the wire handles and feed the tubing through it.

561339_sk_lg

Back