Is there a leak or is this how it works?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chigundo

Reaction score
I kegged my first beer last night.. hit it with 30 psi to set the seals.. tested it for leaks, no problems.. I burped it a couple times then hit it with 30 again, disconnected the gas, and put it in the fridge.

I'm in the process of moving stuff around so that's why i didn't have the gas connected overnight.

Today I went to burp the keg to see how much pressure was still in it and it barely burped at all... does this mean there was a leak, or did the beer absorb all that co2 and that's why there wasn't an aggressive burp (and, therefore, why you need to keep constant pressure)?

Try putting it at a 10 psi steady pressure and then spray a soap mixture around the lid and posts, see if any thing starts bubbling out. If it does there is a leak. If no bubbles increase the pressure to 15 or 20, if still no leaks the CO2 just absorbed into the beer. You did say there was a small burp, had to be holding some pressure. Do you have a manual relief valve or is it the pinlock type that is just a pressure relief. I've found most on most of my kegs (all ball locks with the manual pressure relief valve) the valve starts opening up around 27-30 psi.

Back