Is the Prago a good/decent grain mill?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ipatch

Reaction score
I am in the market for a mill, and this seems to be the best deal I have seen on the internet. And, NO I can not buy one these things locally where I am from because there isn't a single business in my area that sells mills that can be used to crush grain :(

Does anyone on here own one of these mills?

Is this a decent mill/will it last over time?

Can I rig up a drill to crush my grains with this mill?

If you don't do hyperlinks:
Ebay Item # 170515550471

or

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170515550471

Oh, I should mention that each one of these mills is a little bit different. For example, Revvy has noted that his mill gives a more consistent crush when he adds a bolt and JB weld to the outer plate. Mine, however, works best when it has a little play in the outer plate, hence I left the cotter pin in place. The lesson: play around with it, get to know it, and before you try anything permanent, make sure you've tested a non-permanent solution first. Each mill has its own personality.

I am not a fan of this model. It might be ok for grinding for brewing but it will not do much more. I am not sure how long it would last.
James Dahlberg
http://www.foodtoolsplus.com/grain_mills
Would you care to qualify your opinion? Do you have such a mill? Why are you not a fan of it? Why do you think it won't last long?

Furthermore, it doesn't seem like the OP wants to use the mill for anything other than milling his grain, so your second sentence is even relevant.

I am not a fan of this model. It might be ok for grinding for brewing but it will not do much more. I am not sure how long it would last.
James Dahlberg
http://www.foodtoolsplus.com/grain_mills

Um, isnt that what he is looking for? a cheap mill for making beer? there are a lot of folks who have successfully used a mill like this for years without failing, I cant see how this one would fare any worse.

I suppose the owner of foodtoolsplus would rather the OP purchase a mill from him as opposed to some cheap ebay one.

James, please register as a vendor first before pedaling your wares.

" Is the Prago a good/decent grain mill? "

It is an inexpensive cheap poorly made chinese clone that is built to a rather low quality control standard. However, Yes, it can give you a good crush if you are handy and overcome the units deficiencies.

" Is the Prago a good/decent grain mill? "

It is an inexpensive cheap poorly made chinese clone that is built to a rather low quality control standard. However, Yes, it can give you a good crush if you are handy and overcome the units deficiencies.

Awesome :cross: cuz my mill just came in the mail :)

Get it mill in the mail :p

Latest posts

Back