Is the light that gets through an airlock negligible?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewer_Bob

Reaction score
So here is the deal. Right now I use my office as my fermentation room as well. It is great for doing ales because I can keep the temp in there down to the low 60s.

But in the future I want to try my hand at some lagers. The embassy equiped our house with a traditional fridge with a freezer on top. Wifey says I can't use that.

But we also got a tall skinny "display fridge". It looks a little like this:

GM0400LCjpg.jpg

We use it for our sodas, milk and bottled water. But we only use about half of it. Wifey says I can take the bottom or top half, which is just enough room to fit a bucket.

However, light, sunlight even, is getting in there all day because it is in our kitchen and the kitchen has large windows. I know the fermenter buckets are supposed to impenetrable to light. However, how much light can get through the three piece airlock I have in the lid? Is it a small enough amount that it won't have any ill effects on my beer?

Thanks.

That's no problem at all. For one, I doubt any direct sunrays will be able to go through the airlock and into the tiny hole in the bung, and once light bounces around a few times inside your kitchen and the fridge the effect on the beer will be nonexistent.

f you are worried about it, just throw a hand towel over the airlock. Or you could even place a "tupperware" (colored plastic) cop over the airlock.

I rule that that much direct sunlight would be negligible but, you could add an opaque/black covering on the shelf above for overkill or just in case.

I rule that that much direct sunlight would be negligible but, you could add an opaque/black covering on the shelf above for overkill or just in case.

I would get 2 or 3 suction cups with hooks and a sheet of mylar, end of all worries...for less than $3.00...

GL! :mug:

I'd be more worried about the religious police and what they think of you making alcohol.

Check his sig:

Brewer_Bob said:
DISCLAIMER: Yes, I am in Libya. Yes, alcohol is banned in Libya. However, I am a US diplomat with diplomatic immunity and thus am only subject to US laws and not those of Libya. I only brew on my diplomatic residence and only share with other diplomats. I am at no legal risk.

Back