Is the Chief Brewer in your home brew operation male or female?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Isd the Cheif Brewer in your home operation a Female or Male?

• Female

• Male

Results are only viewable after voting.
Okay, I will chime in with Yopper. I am the one that does the brewing, cooking, and vegetable garden in our house, along with being a Director at an Observatory and from my avatar it is hard to tell if I am male or female, but I am a girl that loves to brew. I enjoy all facets of brewing, being that it is like cooking. Your building a recipe and creating it. Then relaxing and enjoying it.

I just finished planting the spring garden, so fresh veggies here we come. Luckily I do not need to wait until late May or June to plant. Can have a garden year around down here in Texas.

In fact in our brew club there are several women that enjoy brewing. Maybe it is just a Texan thing!!!!

Very good post. I am thinking of all the "things" that guide us to do what become our hobbies or interests. I am the cook of the family, so you pose an interesting correlation between brewing and cooking. Shooting/hunting is my other main hobby, so I process my own game meats and enjoy cooking it as well. But again, it may be possible that there is a direct connection to cooking and brewing which I hadn't really thought of until your post.

Observatory! This is mine!

scope-installed-001.jpg

Roof wasn't all the way open, this is the roof opening
http://vid226.photobucket.com/albums/dd248/maryalanab/Observatory pics/roofopening1.mp4

AT6RC Ritchey-Chrétien telescope with a video camera on it currently

Nerve center in a separate warm room from the scope.

desk-at-night.jpg

Lot of the build pictures, I did the build myself including roof engineering and controller

http://s226.photobucket.com/user/maryalanab/library/Observatory pics
scope-installed-005.jpg

Okay, I will chime in with Yopper. I am the one that does the brewing, cooking, and vegetable garden in our house, along with being a Director at an Observatory and from my avatar it is hard to tell if I am male or female, but I am a girl that loves to brew. I enjoy all facets of brewing, being that it is like cooking. Your building a recipe and creating it. Then relaxing and enjoying it.

I just finished planting the spring garden, so fresh veggies here we come. Luckily I do not need to wait until late May or June to plant. Can have a garden year around down here in Texas.

In fact in our brew club there are several women that enjoy brewing. Maybe it is just a Texan thing!!!!

My wife hates the smell when I am brewing, that's why I brew outdoors. When I do small batches inside on the stove top, I get an ear full of how awful it smells which carries over to the following morning. Plus my oldest daughter doesn't like it when I do my small batches indoors. With that being said, it's my hobby, I brew alone and my wife thinks I'm obsessed with it (and pokes fun at me).

This makes me sad. :(
The arcane homebrewing, distilling, and wine-making pastime, legal and otherwise, has run fairly strong in my family for a few generations. It's never been encouraged beyond the creative hobby stage but it's never been actively discouraged, either.
Everyone eats and everyone drinks, but preferences will never be identical. I've always loved the smell of malt so it's hard to understand how sweet wort or bread could smell "bad" unless there's some other association.
My wife thinks I'm obsessed (I am) but she understands. Where she comes from, the "malt tea" is consumed as is. Taking the "tea" an extra step into another form is just another type of "food" for me - it just seems natural.

I just added my vote to the meager women's count. The hubby got me into this, buying our first starter kit, but he hasn't actually brewed with me in years. I've cut down to almost exclusively small batches in the last 2 yrs so I don't even need him for the heavy lifting anymore. He's much more interested in cooking food which works out great because I hate that. He loves to drink beer though and has a great palate, so again win-win.
:mug:

Just added my count, it's probably pretty obvious I'm of the female persuasion. I started with wine, cider, mead (and variations thereof) but started in on the beer a bit later. HWMO has become an an enthusiastic partner, but I don't know if he's desiring to take the lead on any of the brews. Probably should ask!

I am the primary cook as well, in fact I have to make sure I don't take over when he is the chef de jour. He does most of the grilling, all of the smoking, and cooks other items several times a week. We often work together on things, which we do well, one of the reasons we ended up married.

Edit - I'm also chief gardener, although he helps with the heavy stuff he doesn't like grubbing in the dirt. For those wondering wtf he does do, he has his own sets of hobbies like ham radio, and he works on stuff around the house, like he made our summer kitchen cabinets. And he drinks beer, wine, cider and mead with me!

Last edited:
As a follow up poll.

Of those who participated in this poll - is the main cook in the house a male or female?

I do 100% of the brewing and about 90% of the cooking. Wife likes the smells through the house while I'm brewing, but has zero inclination to get involved in the process (other than drinking it).

I am head brewer and the wife is Commander in Chief. I do most of the brewing but she does most of the cooking. I used to do most of the cooking but she has become a very accomplished cook. We are both competitive "live fire" ie bbq and grilling cooks. She can hold her own over a fire.

Mark

I'm a male and brew with one of my buddies form the fire department. So far my wife just likes to hang out in the garage while we are brewing. Of course that might be because about the time we got our brew rig operational our son was born. He is one now so somebody has to keep an eye on him so he doesn't try and climb the brew rig with wort boiling in it or tip over the glass carboy lol. She is very supportive and I have slowly opened her taste buds up to different beers. When we first met she strictly drank bud light. I got her into wheat beers and it's progressed from there. As long as I keep the IBU's fairly mild she will drink about anything and has a great palette for picking up subtle differences like different yeast strains on the same beer (split 10 gallon batches). I think once our son gets a little older where we don't have to constantly watch him she might be interested in brewing. As far as cooking we split duties. She will pick 3-4 recipes she wants to make and I will do the same. One of us will go grocery shopping and then just rotate cooking duties as our schedule allows. I always get stuck doing dishes though while she takes little man for a bath right after dinner.

What is his ham call? I am also a ham radio operator.

Just added my count, it's probably pretty obvious I'm of the female persuasion. I started with wine, cider, mead (and variations thereof) but started in on the beer a bit later. HWMO has become an an enthusiastic partner, but I don't know if he's desiring to take the lead on any of the brews. Probably should ask!

I am the primary cook as well, in fact I have to make sure I don't take over when he is the chef de jour. He does most of the grilling, all of the smoking, and cooks other items several times a week. We often work together on things, which we do well, one of the reasons we ended up married.

Edit - I'm also chief gardener, although he helps with the heavy stuff he doesn't like grubbing in the dirt. For those wondering wtf he does do, he has his own sets of hobbies like ham radio, and he works on stuff around the house, like he made our summer kitchen cabinets. And he drinks beer, wine, cider and mead with me!

What is his ham call? I am also a ham radio operator.

He's says OK to post! WA0UXB. I keep saying I'm going to get a license but never have. :p

Love your observatory btw, we talked about doing something like that, but haven't...yet...

Edit, pm your call if you prefer.

My call is W0AAT and I thought maybe I had talked to hm if he operated 2 meter SSB but I don't recognize the call. I mostly work the VHF bands and bounce my signals off the moon on 2 meters...

My 2 meter antenna array pointed at the moon

IMG_20160618_2145099991_zpsdsdhqdpz.jpg

He's says OK to post! WA0UXB. I keep saying I'm going to get a license but never have. :p

Love your observatory btw, we talked about doing something like that, but haven't...yet...

Edit, pm your call if you prefer.

MaryB love the observatory. Looks like the dome opening is remote controlled or I am wrong. I love how you have it opening up that is a great concept. Doing anything for the Total Solar Eclipse this year?

Anyway here is my little playtoy that I use most clear nights. A 36" f/7.4 or 13.0. I can flip the secondary and change the focal length. It is a classical cassigrain with a hyperbola mirror. The mirror alone weighs 500lbs!!

Large Telescope.jpg

Sweet toy! And out of my budget LOL the roof can be remote opened from the house and I can operate the scope from the house but I like going out there for the silence and getting away from the internet. Spring nights sit out there and watch the stars... Not doing anything for the eclipse, will probably catch it online from one of the internet observatories.

Female only brewer in the house. Hubby has no interest in it. Says it smells like "wet dog" when I am brewing. He loves drinking it, helps me carry heavy stuff if needed, but does no brewing related tasks at all. Nothing. Nada. I am a chemical engineer, so brewing is in my DNA. My maiden name also destined me to be a brewer, LOL!

As for the cooking question, we both cook.

About the only involvement my wife has in the process is to open the door every hour or so to tell me I'm making the house stink.

That is exactly where we are in my household too.

My husband's only complaint about my brewing is that I drink the majority of the beer I brew, sometimes before he feels like drinking it. Both of us are bowlers, he does his drinking there while I prefer to drink at home. Same thing happens with store-bought beer. However it's not really a "complaint", per se, just a friendly matrimonial dig. Whenever we're out with friends he almost always manages to brag about his brewing wife, and raves over "our" beers. The last time we went to the LHBS together he was like a kid in a candy store, and insisted I get the new false bottom I'd been needing but hadn't bought due to the price. So he supports what I do and it gives me the warm fuzzies to know how proud of me he is.

My husband's only complaint about my brewing is that I drink the majority of the beer I brew, sometimes before he feels like drinking it. Both of us are bowlers, he does his drinking there while I prefer to drink at home. Same thing happens with store-bought beer. However it's not really a "complaint", per se, just a friendly matrimonial dig. Whenever we're out with friends he almost always manages to brag about his brewing wife, and raves over "our" beers. The last time we went to the LHBS together he was like a kid in a candy store, and insisted I get the new false bottom I'd been needing but hadn't bought due to the price. So he supports what I do and it gives me the warm fuzzies to know how proud of me he is.

I got to tell you, seatazz, there is a world of similarity in a point you made:

My wife is seldom interested in the brewing process. She comes out to the brew cave, feigns some limited degree of interest before wandering off filling bird feeders or similar. However, we recently went to a couples event and I took two kegs of my more standard beers. They bragged over them with the typical comment this is better than any beer you can buy, or you should be selling this. Ok, we know the deal. So wife gets all puffed up and says WE brewed these beers, I helped design the recipe, yeah this one took 2 months to condition...and on. SO she suddenly is way more involved than I have ever noted. Ok good, maybe she will take a more keen interest in the process. Well darn...back to the birdfeeders and such on the next brew day. Of course I am proud of her as always.

I am with ya, seatazz.

I do 100% of the brewing and about 90% of the cooking. Wife likes the smells through the house while I'm brewing, but has zero inclination to get involved in the process (other than drinking it).

I do 100% of the brewing, but less than 50% of the cooking.

I cook for the "special" things or when I"m in the mood to be elaborate. I'd say it's maybe a couple of times per month, but at times (like today) when I'm in the mood to cook, I might be the chef du jour.

My wife took a bottle of my pumpernickel stout to some friends who loved it. She came home with a request from them that I kick up the ABV. A lot!

(It's around 5% and they wanted 2x!)

She was asking how I could do that without fundamentally changing the beer so I was telling her about OG, FG, yeast, temps, sugars, etc.

This is the longest "beer conversation" we've had in two years. Usually she just asks if we have such and such left on tap.

Back