Is Stella Artois crap to anyone else?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nos33

Reaction score
I just bought a couple of these from my Liquor Store just to see what all the hype was about. After they were cooled in my fridge (liquor stores are not allowed to keep anything in the fridge around here) I popped one open and poured it into a glass. Had a very strong skunky smell and tasted like crap. It tasted like a rotten Heinekin that was left out in the sun for too long. And the next day (about an hour ago) I had a movement that smelled the exact same as the Stella.

sorry for the rant

I'm not a fan of it personally however do enjoy some of the German pilsners.

beerloaf

I just bought a couple of these from my Liquor Store just to see what all the hype was about. After they were cooled in my fridge (liquor stores are not allowed to keep anything in the fridge around here) I popped one open and poured it into a glass. Had a very strong skunky smell and tasted like crap. It tasted like a rotten Heinekin that was left out in the sun for too long. And the next day (about an hour ago) I had a movement that smelled the exact same as the Stella.

sorry for the rant

LOLOLOLOLOL !!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah it's crap to me too!!

It's alright for what it is, a premium American style lager. It's not a European Pilsner

The real problem is you don't know how long it was on the shelf under florescent lights. You really need to get them out of the box, or better a can.

Yeah, I wouldn't call it crap, but it's nothing special. Either here or on the other side of the pond - it's the basic go-to beer for the college kids in Leuven when they're out at the clubs.

There's nothing too special about it, I actually had one a couple nights ago cause they seemed to be out of everything else I wanted.

Wait, so you bought it warm from a liquor store, without knowing how long it was there, and you're complaining it tasted skunky? Shocker!

I like the glasses. If a place only has BMC or Stella on draught, I'd take the Stella.

il_fullxfull.85067211.jpg

Umm Stella is BMC.

I just cant get into pilsner no matter how hard I try. It could be the best pils in the world it still wouldn't do anything for me tbh.

Being stationed overseas, I've had my share of them. Personally I like them. As a hop head I do lean on IPA's and the like, but I wouldn't consider them garbage. And I recall places in Bulgaria where Stella was the only beer you could get besides the crap they sold in plastic 2 liter bottles.

its drinkable, but im pretty sure its the same recipe as this...

mickeys40z.png

YES, i think stella taste like mickeys. deal with it.

My brother was drinking like it was the best beer out there, so I tried one and felt it was pretty lousy. Wouldn't buy another.

Charlie Bamforth shared a story at the NHC this past week.

Being from the UK, where there are no skunks, he had never smelled a skunk in his entire life until he moved to California to take the job at UC Davis. Soon after getting to the US, he and his wife are driving around when they smell that odor and he turns to her and says, "My God, Heineken have opened a brewery here!"

WhoDey78 said:
My brother was drinking like it was the best beer out there, so I tried one and felt it was pretty lousy. Wouldn't buy another.

My boss swears by the stuff. I can't stand it unless it is on tap an hasn't seen the light if day. Even then it's only tolerable.

I don't have much experience with Stella, but I was out drinking with a guy who said it was great because the abv is like 8-9%. I didn't believe him but I didn't have any evidence. I looked it up later and it's like 5%. It's getting close to $20 for a 12-pack so there's really no reason to buy it when there are so many other better beers that are cheaper.

A beer coming from across the Atlantic, bottled in UV-transparent green glass? Of course it's going to taste like crap here, just like Heineken and even Pilsner Urquell to a large extent.

Stella is Belgian BMC and it's not something that would be amazing by beer-geek standards, but I guarantee you that drinking it fresh and on tap (rather than old and in green bottles, like we get it here), is a hell of a lot better.

The hilarious part of it all is the people here devoted to green-bottled eurolagers like Stella or Heineken... it's pretty objectively turned to crap, and yet there are people who love it and think that's what it's supposed to taste like! Pretentiousness knows no bounds...

As an American who lives in Belgium (long time) I always find it funny when I go back to the states and I see Stella being promoted as a real genuinely-fantastic-high-end-imported beer. Its a non-discript "nationless" lager like any of the others. It is a little sweeter than the US BMC beers and maybe some people count that as "flavor." Whats even funnier is the fact that it comes in green glass. That is specifically done for the US market. I've never seen it in green glass on this side of the ocean, and I gaurentee no one in Belgium would buy it if it did. They equate green glass with dutch brewing and that is not a good image to have in Belgium.

BTW i believe they use rice, not corn, as do most European swill makers.

ahh, the Budweiser of Belgium. Had it fresh in Belgium, not too bad. Here, after a long ocean voyage in a hot steel container and those green bottles, not so good.

Stella is known as Wife Beater over here for a reason.
I know people who love the stuff, but to me there's a nasty chemical aftertaste that I just don't notice with other lagers.

The hilarious part of it all is the people here devoted to green-bottled eurolagers like Stella or Heineken... it's pretty objectively turned to crap, and yet there are people who love it and think that's what it's supposed to taste like!

i was at the bar the other day and the bartender was talking about spaten (which they just got in) and said she hadn't tried it, but she knew she would like it because it came in green bottles and she always liked beer that came in green bottles. i was gonna explain what the flavor was that all the green bottles had, but i decided i wouldn't be a dick and ruin it for her.:D

we have no choice about refrigeration in utah. It is state law that all liquor stores are all state owned and nothing is to be refrigerated. I agree it is a crappy method but that is what we have to deal with over here. and they charge about 1.85 per bottle of that stuff. I am just glad i did not buy a whole 6 pack of this beer and only purchased 2 of them. I will give the second bottle a couple days in the fridge and see how it tastes. But all the other bottles of beer in green bottles from the LQ are fine. this Stella just sat very wrong with me for some reason. I dont mind a skunky beer every now and then but this was just foul.

sorry for the rant

Yep, it's crap. Never apologize for having good taste. :D

Back