Is spring water ok to wash yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bd2xu

Reaction score
I've just started trying to save and re-use some yeast cakes. I went with a shortcut of this route:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/yeast-washing-illustrated-41768/

I just used a 20oz bottle of spring water in the carboy, swirled to mix all, and then poured into 3, 1 quart sanitized mason jars. Into the fridge and in a few days, pour off most of the thin liquid.

Should I be worried about using spring water straight from the bottle?

Also, I've had a hard time discerning layers in my diluted yeast cake, even when using closer to a gallon of water. Any tricks to getting the trub to collect in a more visible layer?

Any issues with what I'm doing, really just re-using without washing? No hop particles, those were bagged in these batches.

Whenever I add any kind of water to a batch, I always boil it to sanitize it first, then for yeast growth cooling and reaerating it seems important.

I can't usually siphon all the liquid out of 6.5 gallon primary fermentor into a 5 gallon secondary. I don't add any water, I do sanitize the outside of the carboy neck, I use that liquid remaining in the fermentor (2 weeks of fermentation), swirl it around to break the bottom stuff up, trub and whatnot, and and pour it in a sanitized jar (sort of a large jar), then put it in the fridge for the 2-4 days it takes to schedule another mash and boil day. Then, when the new batch is cooled, the yeast cake is raised to the same temperature, then added to the new batch. There's enough yeast with this method, and its fresh enough, that there doesn't seem to be any reason for a starter, the large carboy is producing gas in 3-4 hours or so.

It's pretty simple.

I'm also recollecting that "Common Cleaners & Sanitizers Used in Brewing" pdf mentions that "sanitized water" may mean a can of commercial beer (pasteurized).

I have been using bottled water for washing yeast for 1 year with no problems,and for my slant starters,must be clean to hold up in a closed bottle,?

I have been using bottled water for washing yeast for 1 year with no problems,and for my slant starters,must be clean to hold up in a closed bottle,?

That's what i'm hoping. Distilled bottled water I'd have no worries at all. Not as sure about bottled spring water... we will see.

This is just to add some liquid to the yeast cake to help settling. Most of it gets decanted before the next pitch. But, if there's any "bugs" in the spring water at all, they'll be in with the yeast.

I think there is more and more consensus that "washing" yeast is not in the best interest of the yeast and may do more harm than good. Check out these couple links - lots of good information:

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=19850.msg252492#msg252492

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/harvesting-yeast-starters-update-474090/

Basically, leaving beer with your harvested yeast provides a better/stable environment. Generally, I leave a bit of beer behind in the fermenter, swirl it up, let it sit for a few minutes so the heaviest trub, hops, etc. fall out and then pour off into mason jars. Usually pretty clean yeast with layer of beer on top. Or, I will harvest off of a bigger than needed starter, which keeps the yeast quite clean and free from hops, etc.

Yes the link to the discussion on the AHA Forum is very enlightening. Read the posts by Mark V. very carefully because he does present good points. The bottom line is: DON'T wash your yeast or replace the beer that its under. The acidic beer is far better at protecting the yeast from contamination than water is.

Latest posts

Back