Is pilsner liquid malt extract ok with scotch ale recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gunshowgreg

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm making this scotch ale and it calls for light liquid malt extract. When intyped that in on norther brewer pilsner was the only thing close to what I thought was light. I go back today and i see that they have organic light malt and gold malt. Should I get one of these instead? Will the pilsner extract be too light for a scotch ale? I can go to my LHB store and pay about 6 or 7$ more for light malt extract in a 3 lbs can but trying to see if its necessary or not.

Thanks
Greg
IMG-20190110-WA0002.jpeg
IMG-20190110-WA0003.jpeg

Yes 10 lbs golden promise or marris otter ale
2 lbs toasted pale malt
.67 lbs of crystal 80L
.67 pound wheat malt
1 ounce roasted barley
1. Ounce peat smoked malt

And to boost OG its calling for 3 lbs of pale liquid malt extract.

I posted pics of the recipe in OP incase anyone wanted to try and to also see it

Yes 10 lbs golden promise or marris otter ale
2 lbs toasted pale malt
.67 lbs of crystal 80L
.67 pound wheat malt
1 ounce roasted barley
1. Ounce peat smoked malt

And to boost OG its calling for 3 lbs of pale liquid malt extract.

I posted pics of the recipe in OP incase anyone wanted to try and to also see it
Pilsner extract will work fine.

You have already been given the answer, that Pilsner is OK in place of light.

A good rule with extract brewing is to use the lightest extract possible unless there is a specific reason for using something else, and Pilsner is the lightest.

Pilsner extract is 99% Pilsner malt and 1% carapils. Light extract (or Gold at Northern Brewer .... which is actually repackaged Briess Golden Light) is 99% Base (2-row/pale malts) and 1 % carapils.

Back