Is my yeast starter infected?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wfowlks

Reaction score
So, I have been growing my yeast starter, and I noticed like small little round things floating on top. I was using a stir plate, and the yeast was US-05. The picture was taken as I turned off the plate. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't infected because then I would need to whip up a new batch of the Starsan.

20131002_142351(0).jpg

20131002_142351_cropped.jpg

Doesn't look like an infection. Dry yeast is designed for use without a starter though. It has to do with how it's made. They do something to it during the dehydration process that makes a starter less beneficial. Maybe someone will chime in with more specifics, but I know I've read that several times from several sources.

It almost looks like the yeast beads that come out of the actual package floating on top, but it's hard to tell.

It was an experiment, as i found a few pellets of the yeast in a corner of the packet once I pitched, and decided to try growing it. Maybe it is the yeast beads.

Doesn't look like an infection. Dry yeast is designed for use without a starter though. It has to do with how it's made. They do something to it during the dehydration process that makes a starter less beneficial. Maybe someone will chime in with more specifics, but I know I've read that several times from several sources.

Generally it isn't necessary because dry yeast is cheaper (pitch an extra) and a packet contains more viable cells than a vial of liquid yeast.

I'm not sure the stir plate is beneficial either. Dry yeast doesn't require oxygenation.

As for what the OP is seeing in the starter, I have no idea. It looks like yeast granules.

The first round or two of cell divisions don't require oxygen, but if you are starting from just some leftover granules you might do yourself more of a favor by stepping up the starter - the first small one with no need for added oxygen, and any following step-ups with added oxygen. The packets are made to have enough cells and nutrients to grow the yeast colony to the appropriate size for a 5-gallon batch. A few granules is, of course, a much smaller colony and will have greater nutrient requirements. And I agree, it's usually probably not a great idea to make a starter with dry yeast, considering how cheap it is.

I think those are yeast granules in the picture, too.

Back