Is my Yeast dead?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew_Barron

Reaction score
(Appologies for duplicate post)
OK guys, a bit of help on my first brew.
After 4 days I transfered to secondary with reading of 1020, another 4 days have passed (first day a very thin layer of bubbles appeared on the surface then went) and the bubbles going through the airlock have all but stopped (one every 5-8 mins). I took another reading to see if it was ready to move on to my king keg and it is still at 1020 and still smells very sweet, has my yeast given up the ghost and if so what do I do next get another pack of yeast and pitch it in?

Your yeast would only 'give up' when there are no more fermentables to munch on. I would'nt pitch more yeast. If I'm correct in reading your post, you have been fermenting 8 days... give it to 14 days (14 is just my practice) and then bottle (or take another reading and decide from that).
OK... there could be other reasons for your yeast giving up... I'm sure others will chime in here. If your initial gravity was crazy high, maybe the yeast drown in the high alcohol content (what a good way to go) or maybe you put your fermenter on top of the radiator and killed them off... well, you get the point. In normal conditions they would run their course.

I find that when I transfer to the secondary, there's a noticeable drop in activity. I usually let the beer ferment for 21 days. Even longer if the basement is colder. I would let your beer go for another week at least. If applicable, make sure the fermenter is around 70 degrees. The airlock isn't a good indication of activity. Usually, my airlock stops bubbling after the first 5 days or so. Don't worry, the yeasties are still doing their thing. I've never seen krausen form in the secondary, don't expect too much visible activity to go on in there.

How big is the batch?
How much yeast did you pitch?
What was the gravity in the primary?
In the future, allow the yeast to finish completley prior to moving to secondary.
If you think it tastes sweet it won't hurt to add a pack of rehydrated Nottingham Ale Dry Yeast.
235.jpg

Back