Is my wine supposed to taste bad at bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IEpicDestiny

Reaction score
Hi

I have just bottled a WineBuddy Pinot Grigio 30 bottle kit and had a few sips in a glass as well. I followed the instructions and it was in the fermenter for 7 days (I know you should keep it in longer but I just wanted to follow the instructions on my first time).

However it tastes bad but not in a way that it has gone off. It's hard to describe the taste but it sort of tastes like a pinot grigio concentrate mixed with alcohol I suppose and it is quite sickening. After a few sips I had to throw the rest of the glass of it away.

Is this normal? and if so when would it start to taste decent?

Also is it alright to store it at approximately 24-28 degrees Celsius in a dark place? and do I need to lay the bottles down or can I have them standing up?

Thanks!

It's supposed to taste off - It's fresh. I don't think it's supposed to taste good until the two year mark.

After six months the sourness starts to go away. After one year it starts to mellow and some of that weird astringency goes away. After eighteen months it starts to taste like wine. After two years it tastes pretty good! any longer is just gravy.

It's supposed to taste off - It's fresh. I don't think it's supposed to taste good until the two year mark.

After six months the sourness starts to go away. After one year it starts to mellow and some of that weird astringency goes away. After eighteen months it starts to taste like wine. After two years it tastes pretty good! any longer is just gravy.

Oh wow didn't realise it would take that long :( On the instructions it mentions that I need to consume it within a year though, very confused

Oh wow didn't realise it would take that long :( On the instructions it mentions that I need to consume it within a year though, very confused

Have you ever had a good wine that was dated this year?

I have no idea why wine directions say that. Unless I'm drunk already, there isn't one that exists :D

I suppose they wouldn't sell any if they said "make this today. It'll be great in a couple years!"

Pinot Noir, maybe. But a Pinot Grigio I would aim to rest for 4-9 months max and plan on drinking within a year.

Personally, I'd probably have racked at least twice before bottling for a white. Yeasts will likely add strange flavors.

Did it taste/feel at all fizzy? Lots of off flavors and aromas are made during fermentation, and that needs to be gassed out and time to mellow. The next sample you taste, try letting it breath or really aerating it first.

Wine kit suggests bottling after a week? Garbage kit.

Even pushing the timeline as fast as possible I would leave the wine in primary fermentation for 3 weeks, then rack to a secondary with no headspace for another 2 months before bottling. Yes, 1 week old wine should taste pretty bad.

Back