is my water ruined?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

z987k

Reaction score
So I added 1 pound each of MgSO4 and HSO4 to my mash water because I wanted to make a hoppy beer and my water's residual alkalinity is high.
Now I'm reading that you're supposed to measure in grams not pounds like we do for grain. :confused:

Will this effect the pH of my mash too much? Will my beer just taste extra hoppy? Is my water ruined, is my beer ruined? :eek:

I think you left your water in the pipes too long and it went bad. Next time don't let it sit in the pipes so long or autolysis will kick in.

On the other hand it could be fine, instead of dumping it send your water to me. I could use a drink and don't feel like walking over to the kitchen

RDWHAHB. Your water is fine. It can take up to 72 hours for your water to take affect. You can't tell by looking at your pipes.

But if you just can't wait, here's a trick the old timers used to use. Just keep adding salts until your mash paddle will stand straight up in the water.

thanks guys, this morning I made sure sure to run at least 100 gallons through my pipes into the yard just to make sure it's fresh water I'm getting. Don't want any meaty band-aid flavors in my water from autolysis.

I didn't think I have enough MgSO4 to get my water like you suggested Homer, so I just subbed NaCl(same thing right, they're both salts?), I got a 50lb block from the local farm supply store, got my water good and thick before I mashed with it. I bet the yeast love all the nutrients from it! Weird thing happened though, when I was chilling my wort deer were coming out of the woods trying to lick it.(must be really good beer) I tried to fend them off with my mash paddle, but I think some of them got their tongue in there. Is my beer ruined? :eek:

First and foremost, do you have a rubber duckie? What were the readings?

Like Homers said, you can't tell just by looking at your pipes!

First and foremost, do you have a rubber duckie? What were the readings?

Like Homers said, you can't tell just by looking at your pipes!

No rubber ducky, but I noticed that a 5lb brick floated, so it must have a pretty high gravity. I guess this means it will be a really big beer right?

thanks guys, this morning I made sure sure to run at least 100 gallons through my pipes into the yard just to make sure it's fresh water I'm getting. Don't want any meaty band-aid flavors in my water from autolysis.

I didn't think I have enough MgSO4 to get my water like you suggested Homer, so I just subbed NaCl(same thing right, they're both salts?), I got a 50lb block from the local farm supply store, got my water good and thick before I mashed with it. I bet the yeast love all the nutrients from it! Weird thing happened though, when I was chilling my wort deer were coming out of the woods trying to lick it.(must be really good beer) I tried to fend them off with my mash paddle, but I think some of them got their tongue in there. Is my beer ruined? :eek:

Oh, yeah. Salt is salt. No worries there. I never thought about using a salt block from Tractor supply! I might have to try that next time. I like venison. :rockin:

Back