Is my stout too dark?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bob3000

Reaction score
Whent to the Homebrew shop planning to brew darkish Ale, decided while I was there to brew a porter, didn't have a recipe and panicked. I ended up walking out with
1.5Kg of pale malt extract
1.5Kg of dark DME
500g of chocolate malt

i already had sone challenger and cascade hops so i used those.

Brewed it all up last week (steeping the chocolate malt for half an hour). Had a little tatse on 2nd day and it seemed promising, now when i taste it, it seems very tannic and astringint.

I plugged the amounts into BeerEngine brewing software and it came up with an EBC of 214. This seems very high and i can't find any recipes with an EBC like this.

Have i gone over board with the Dark malt or is the software leading me astray?

Any help would be much appreciated.

I didn't think there was such a thing as too dark of a stout. I brewed a really similar recipe only it called for half a pound(I'm a dumb American...about 225g) of chocolate malt plus another half pound of roasted barley wich is even darker. On top of that all my malt extract was dark. It still turned out great. One of my favorite beers yet. I know how you feel though I was stressing about the overuse of dark malts the whole time it was fermenting too. You should be fine.

I have a porter in the fermenter that has 1/2 lb patent and 7 lbs dark lme added bullion hops and vanilla I am hoping for a dard head the last time I used 1/2 pale and 1/2 dark extract the head came out white so I stepped it up

Ok, sounds like i'm in the clear. I'll just have to wait until its had few weeks in the bottle and see how it turns out.
Thanks for the help and reassurance people.

Latest posts

Back