Is my SG too low???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NCBrewer6

Reaction score
I just started my second batch of pinot noir using a European Select wine kit. I got an initial reading of 1.074. My instructions say it should be between 1.080 and 1.095. Is there anything I need to do or worry about?

No, probably not. You can check the hydrometer reading in 60 degree distilled water, to ensure that your hydrometer is accurate. Even if your hydrometer is correct, you're only off .006 or so- not enough to worry about. Maybe you added an extra quart or pint of water or something. It'll be fine!

No, probably not. You can check the hydrometer reading in 60 degree distilled water, to ensure that your hydrometer is accurate. Even if your hydrometer is correct, you're only off .006 or so- not enough to worry about. Maybe you added an extra quart or pint of water or something. It'll be fine!

Thanks for the speedy response. I'm gonna keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best. My first batch turned out wonderful and im hoping this batch will be exactlly like it. Thanks again

Back