Is my primary ok??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew24

Reaction score
Hello all. Just brewed my second batch which is an Imperial West Coast IPA. OG reading of 1.070 and looked good after transferring to primary. Started to settle and clear which showed about a 1/4 inch of great color. The next morning showed signs of great fermentation. Well, I had to leave for the day and upon return that evening my airlock and stopper had blown out the top? I sanitized a new stopper and airlock immediately and it began bubbling again. Do you think the batch will be ok? Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

It will be fine, co2 will protect it. Look up blowoff tube, could save you some nasty cleanups.

There are a million (or more) posts on the forum with the same thing :) haha, you will be fine, as long as you sanitized your equipment, including the outside of the carboy neck. Don't worry! Just keep an eye on it.

Thanks for the information. Any thoughts on how long to leave in the primary? I was thinking of two weeks then taking another reading? If everything looks ok then rack to secondary for another two weeks to maybe get the clarity back?

Question, Why are you running 2 threads on this same topic? Anyway give it 3-4 weeks for the yeast to clean up and the beer to settle out then bottle/keg.

Back