Is my hop sched ok? or too much??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jourelemode

Reaction score
this is my first IPA style, well its a cascadian dark ale. and I wanna know if this is too much etc.

so i was thinking using 2 oz. of columbus for bittering, 2 oz. of citra for flavor, 1 oz. centennial for aroma then 1 oz citra dry hop.

just looking for input and thoughts...

this is my first IPA style, well its a cascadian dark ale. and I wanna know if this is too much etc.

so i was thinking using 2 oz. of columbus for bittering, 2 oz. of citra for flavor, 1 oz. centennial for aroma then 1 oz citra dry hop.

just looking for input and thoughts...

Well, I almost always say, "There is no such thing as too much when you're talking about hops!" but I don't know if that's true in this case.

2 ounces of columbus at bittering could give you a gawd-awful bitter beer unless you have a high OG and/or low AAU columbus hops.

The idea is balance- you want to balance the OG with the IBUs of the beer. So, without knowing your entire recipe it's impossible to say what you can expect. MOST IPAs would be too bitter with 2 ounces of columbus for bittering, though.

If you want to post your recipe, we can help you calculate the IBUs (or in my case, run it through some brewing software) and the OG/IBU ratio to see if the beer will be in balance.

Well, I almost always say, "There is no such thing as too much when you're talking about hops!" but I don't know if that's true in this case.

2 ounces of columbus at bittering could give you a gawd-awful bitter beer unless you have a high OG and/or low AAU columbus hops.

The idea is balance- you want to balance the OG with the IBUs of the beer. So, without knowing your entire recipe it's impossible to say what you can expect. MOST IPAs would be too bitter with 2 ounces of columbus for bittering, though.

If you want to post your recipe, we can help you calculate the IBUs (or in my case, run it through some brewing software) and the OG/IBU ratio to see if the beer will be in balance.

alright, its an allgrain kit and I don't know exactly how much of what is in it except for the hops. I'll probably receive the kit probably next monday or tuesday. When I get it i'll post it up. The kit comes with 2oz columbus, 1 oz. citra and 1 oz centennial. I just added the extra 1 oz. citra for flavoring and 1 oz. for dry hopping. When I see what the aau is for the columbus i'll let you know.

thanks

alright, its an allgrain kit and I don't know exactly how much of what is in it except for the hops. I'll probably receive the kit probably next monday or tuesday. When I get it i'll post it up. The kit comes with 2oz columbus, 1 oz. citra and 1 oz centennial. I just added the extra 1 oz. citra for flavoring and 1 oz. for dry hopping. When I see what the aau is for the columbus i'll let you know.

thanks

Gotcha! I'm not concerned at all about your proposed hopping for the finishing and flavor hops- I like the extra citra! I was more concerned about the bittering hops. I like bitter beers, but if it's too bitter it detracts away from the 'hoppiness' if that makes sense.

Gotcha! I'm not concerned at all about your proposed hopping for the finishing and flavor hops- I like the extra citra! I was more concerned about the bittering hops. I like bitter beers, but if it's too bitter it detracts away from the 'hoppiness' if that makes sense.

ok, ill let you know...thanks yooper!

yooper, I pm'd you the ingredient list. didn't want to post it up here for respect to the company who put it together.

This is the hop schedule from my Black IPA that I just bottled. Tasted awesome and smells insanely good/fruity.
1.00 oz Warrior [17.20 %] (60 min) Hops 64.8 IBU
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [7.20 %] (Dry Hop 5 days) Hops -
0.50 oz Citra [11.00 %] (Dry Hop 5 days) Hops -
0.25 oz Citra [11.00 %] (30 min) Hops 5.3 IBU
0.25 oz Citra [11.00 %] (20 min) Hops 3.5 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [5.00 %] (20 min) Hops 3.2 IBU
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [7.20 %] (20 min) Hops 4.6 IBU
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [7.20 %] (10 min) Hops 2.7 IBU
0.25 oz Citra [11.00 %] (10 min) Hops 2.1 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (10 min) Hops 2.1 IBU
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [7.20 %] (5 min) Hops 2.3 IBU
0.25 oz Citra [11.00 %] (5 min) Hops 1.7 IBU