Is my fresh pressed cider 'bad'??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnyseko

Reaction score
New to this cider stuff...

So I purchased 4-1 gallon ctrs of cider (cold pasteurized, no preservatives) at a local orchard 2 weeks ago so that I could ferment a gallon per week for a nice steady flow.

I noticed last night one of the plastic jugs that I hadn't opened yet was very bloated - to the point of almost exploding in my fridge! The sell by date isn't for another week. Anyway, in the name of science I poured it into a gallon carboy and covered with cheesecloth - added nothing. OG 1.042. Stored @70F in the dark with the other ciders.

This morning it is bubbling away with a nice foam on top. I'm going to let this run and see what happens but curious if I'm just wasting my time or if it's probably something I should never drink due to the possibility that it had already spoiled in the original container.

Thanks!

Don't worry its just the wild yeast kicking off. It may be interesting, but then again it might not, its a crap shoot. I make a wild yeast batch every year, it usually comes out pretty good.
Your plan of fermenting one gallon a week is somewhat flawed. Cider isn't beer that's ready by some predictable schedule. It may be drinkable when its done fermenting, it may benefit from some aging. The cider will also clear as it ages.
Don't worry if you don't like it when the fermentation is done, just let it sit and then rack it off to another container after a month and let it sit some more. Note you'll loose some when racking, a layer of yeast and apple solids will accumulate at the bottom. When I make a 3 gallon batch, I start with 3.5 gallons so I can rack to a 3 gallon carboy and fill it all the way up.
I just tasted a cider that 3 years old, it was very acidic but improved with aging.
Good luck with your cider making!

Likely it's simply fermenting from the wild yeast that was on the apples. Let it ride. I would add 1 crushed Campden tablet to each of the others and get your chosen yeast in them toot sweet.

I've let jugs of cider go wild in the refrigerator several times. Sometimes they turn out good, and sometimes not. A little less than 50/50 chance of something good in my experience. But like I said, I ferment mine cold at about 40 F in the fridge, for "fun". I don't know what will happen fermented warm.

OK cool - so at least it's worth a shot! I wanted to try a natural yeast ferment at some point so this has forced me to at least try it.

Your plan of fermenting one gallon a week is somewhat flawed. Cider isn't beer that's ready by some predictable schedule. It may be drinkable when its done fermenting, it may benefit from some aging. The cider will also clear as it ages.

The more I read, the more a realize what you said. I have 9 - 1 gallons going now spread over 2 months, more on the way. Basic plan is 3 week ferment, 4 week secondary then prime in bottle for 3 weeks. Taste test before bottling to be sure. Seems I may be going much longer in secondary... I'm just trying slight adjustments to the recipe in each before I make a large batch of one. Once fresh cider season is done, I'll try out the Whole Foods apple juice - comes in glass gallon. Hopefully at some point I'll have some that's ready to drink! :mug:

If you have room in your freezer, you can freeze fresh cider and then thaw it out when you are ready to ferment. But since you are already fermenting 9 gallons, a better plan would be to get some 5 gallon and 3 carboys and ferment larger amounts. I put 3.5 gallons of juice in a 5 gallon carboy and when its done, rack it to a 3 gallon carboy for aging.

I wish I had room in the freezer, great idea. The larger carboys are already on the shopping list though! I think I'm going to need a bigger apartment...:D

Just to update - this stuff was horrible - I cant describe the taste...vinegary and ??

Tasted when I went to rack after activity seemed to stop and FG 1.000. Bleh - poured right down the sink.

Won't try that again!

Latest posts

Back