Is my first brew ruined?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
On Dec. 30th we began our very first brew. After four to five hours we had it ready to place in the fermenter and we did. Yesterday, early afternoon I checked on it and it was bubbling consistently and giving off a beer like odor. I left the house and didn't return until today. This afternoon the brew isn't giving off any bubbles and no odor. I'm not sure what the temp was in the house yesterday. But I do know the heat was on. So it couldn't have fluctuated to much. What's happening? Why has it stopped?

Thanks a ton.

- Josh

It is really going to depend on your recipe and and brew schedule and many other factors not mentioned. The most important is your hydromoeter reading, have you taken one yet?
Do a search for sow fermentation and there is a lot of information from Revvy about the airlock not being the indicator for fermentation activity, you could still be fermenting even though there is low bubbler activity. Based on the info provided I saved one batch by being patient and waiting for it to start and have started to fermenting for weeks longer.
Good Luck

Your beer is almost undoubtedly fine. Let it sit for another couple weeks in the fermenter before you consider bottling it (or transferring to secondary, or whatever).

Thanks all. So, it's not unusual for an airlock to stop showing activity two days into the fermentation? As I mentioned earlier, we've never done this before. So, it seemed a little strange but we'll take your advice and try to relax.

Thanks again for the prompt and helpful responses.

- Josh

Thanks all. So, it's not unusual for an airlock to stop showing activity two days into the fermentation? As I mentioned earlier, we've never done this before. So, it seemed a little strange but we'll take your advice and try to relax.

Thanks again for the prompt and helpful responses.

- Josh

Sure, that's pretty typical especially if it's warm when you pitch the yeast. A warmer wort will encourage the yeast to go faster, which will produce heat, which will encourage the yeast to go faster.

I've had beers ferment out in 24 hours, while others have plugged along for nearly 5 days or a week! It doesn't matter. Even after the majority of fermentation is over, the yeast is still working. After the fermentable sugars are gone, the yeast go back and actually digest their own waste products (like diacetyl), so even if you can't see activity, it's not done yet!

Wait a week or two, and then take a hydrometer sample if you want.

Airlocks bubble, they don't, they stop, they start, they do nothing then your cat humps the fermenter and they start, yadda yadda yadda....it's really nothing to worry about, or compare to previous brews or anything.

The yeast knows what it needs to do, and does it regardless of whether something goes blip or not....It comes down to trust. The yeast has never let me down...I pitch my yeast and walk away for a month.

Yep, totally normal. Measuring virtually anything from airlock activity is not a good habit to get into.

Worrying like mad about your first brew is also totally normal ;)

Welcome to the forum. I'm from Lake St Louis, its nice to see another local brewer.

Congrats on your first brew. As everyone said, your beer should be fine, and you should use a hydrometer to check how your actual fermentation is moving along, as the airlock is just a vague visual indication-nice and convenient to have, but its not reliable.

There's lots of helpful info on here, so keep browsing around and you'll find answers to a lot of questions, including this one, that are commonly asked. Also check out howtobrew.com.

There are a few clubs around town too, where you can go to monthly meetings and chat w other local brewers and try samples of other homebrew(as well as share your own, when you are ready). Stlbrews and GarageBrewers are the main ones that I know of. I've been going to GarageBrewers because its in OFallon, closer to me, but I plan to hit up Stlbrews soon. Good luck and have fun!

The airlock is a great indicator of how much excess co2 is in your fermenter. When it bubbles, this means that the pressure inside is greater than the air pressure outside pressing up against your sanitized water inside the airlock. Other than that, you should really take a hydrometer reading, if its steady for 3 days, you're most likely done fermenting provided that the ambient temperature hasn't changed too much.

then your cat humps the fermenter and they start, yadda yadda yadda....

I have a bad about visual of this.....LOL

Or as someone posted last night...your Ferret develops an unusual attachemnt for it.

168137_1644094096820_1070895707_1722635_6769099_n.jpg

Airlocks bubble, they don't, they stop, they start, they do nothing then your cat humps the fermenter and they start, yadda yadda yadda....it's really nothing to worry about, or compare to previous brews or anything.

The yeast knows what it needs to do, and does it regardless of whether something goes blip or not....It comes down to trust. The yeast has never let me down...I pitch my yeast and walk away for a month.

The recipe we're using says to put it in the secondary after three or four days. Would you wait longer or follow the directions?

Thanks for all the advice.

- Josh

The recipe we're using says to put it in the secondary after three or four days. Would you wait longer or follow the directions?

Thanks for all the advice.

- Josh
What those instruction usually leave out is the use of a hydrometer to PROVE that fermentation has indeed stopped in 7-10 days.

As most of us now realize, if fermentation can sometimes take 3 days to even begin, there is a high likely hood that it is not really done on the 7th day (come one we KNOW that the inexperience brewer will read 7-10 days and do it on the 7th, I did my first time, it's human nature.)

The kit and kilo or basic kit manufacturers are banking on the fact that they only have a limited window of sales to an individual before he/she moves on to the next step of brewing, either trying recipes in books or online, or going all grain. So the bank on 2-3 sales per new brewer before they discover how to brew beer better.

Also as you ALL know, as you became more experienced, this is a hobby about patience, but in this quick trunover society retailers know that something that takes time, would be less popular than something with a quick turn around time...So they know that even though the beer would be better if they told the n00b to wait even a week further, they want to make this hobby as "pain free" as possible....

They're not technically lying, IF the yeast takes hold within a few hours and finishes in a week, you can bottle a lower to moderate gravity beer in 10 days, as Orfy's 10 for 10 milds proves. They just leave off the fact that waiting even a week more makes for better beer.

If you've noticed, it's mostly the kit and kilo, brew in a bag or mr beer type kits that say to do it quickly. The better kit manufacturers usually tell you to wait, as well as suggest to use a hydrometer. I've noticed the the Norther Brewer Catalog gives the most accurate range of their beers based on gravity and style. They will say, for example, "primary for 14 days, secondary 3-6 months, bottle condition another 6" for a higer grav beer.

We have multiple threads about this all over the place, like this one https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/ignore-instructions-do-not-bottle-after-5-10-days-78298/

You'll find that more and more recipes these days do not advocate moving to a secondary at all, but mention primary for a month, which is starting to reflect the shift in brewing culture that has occurred in the last 4 years, MOSTLY because of many of us on here, skipping secondary, opting for longer primaries, and writing about it. Recipes in BYO have begun stating that in their magazine. I remember the "scandal" it caused i the letters to the editor's section a month later, it was just like how it was here when we began discussing it, except a lot more civil than it was here. But after the Byo/Basic brewing experiment, they started reflecting it in their recipes.

Where fermentation is concerned, If you arbitrarily move your beer, like to follow the silly 1-2-3 rule (or instructions that say move after a week or when bubbles slow down), you will often interrupt fermentation. Because sometimes the yeast won't even begin to ferment your beer until 72 hours after yeast pitch, so if you rush the beer off the yeast on day 7 then you are only allowing the yeast a few days to work. The problem is that yeast don't know how to read so they seldom follow the instructions. They dance to their own tune and its seldom 4 x 4 Time.

This often leads to stuck fermentation because you have removed the beer from the very stuff you need to ferment your beer. The yeast....It can often lead to the same off flavors one gets if they undrpitch their yeast.

Besides, fermenting the beer is just a part of what the yeast do. If you leave the beer alone, they will go back and clean up the byproducts of fermentation that often lead to off flavors. That's why many brewers skip secondary and leave our beers alone in primary for a month. It leaves plenty of time for the yeast to ferment, clean up after themselves and then fall out, leveing our beers crystal clear, with a tight yeast cake.

Also the instructions said to keep the temp between 65-70. I have it around 71-72. That won't make much of a difference will it?

Believe it or not, the fermentation temperature is one of the most important things in brewing. It's very important to keep the beer (NOT the room temperature!) in the recommended fermentation temperature zone.

What was the yeast strain? That's how you determine fermentation temperature. If you exceed the temperature a little, you can get some fruity flavors (like banana or bubblegum) called "esters". If you exceed it alot, you can get fusel alcohols- a "hot" solventy flavor that can cause headaches.

One of the things to be aware of is that fermentation produces heat, so often the beer temperature is warmer than the room. In the winter, it's not extreme and usually only a couple of degrees warmer, but in the summer I've seen temperatures 8-10 degrees higher inside the fermenter than the ambient room temperature! If you have a stick-on thermometer (like for aquariums) that can give you a good idea of fermentation temperature.

I do have a sticky thermoter on the fermented. It is currently reading 67 degrees. Is that okay?
Can I open the fermented to take a reading?

I do have a sticky thermoter on the fermented. It is currently reading 67 degrees. Is that okay?
Can I open the fermented to take a reading?

Of course you can't open the fermenter to take a reading, you have to take the reading right through the lid! :D Hahahaha

It won't hurt to open it and take the reading. Sanitize anything going into your beer and try not to agitate it when taking the reading.

Your temp is fine too. Late in the fermentation it may help to be a little warmer but when the yeast is real active it creates its own heat and this can drive the temperature too high for the best taste.

Quick question---I just brewed my first batch on my own last Tuesday, a Brewer's Best Irish Stout. It took a good 24-30 hours to start showing activity in the airlock and was fermenting nicely through Friday morning, when we left town for a quick weekend trip. When we came back today, the airlock had stopped bubbling, so I checked the SG and it was at .030 (OG was .046 and estimated FG .011-.014), and the brew has a slight bitter taste. Should I be concerned that my beer is ruined, or is this fairly normal? I was pretty strict about making sure everything was sanitized, but I'm concerned some contaminents may still have wrecked my beer.

P.S.- I used White Labs' liquid Irish Ale Yeast instead of the dry packet that usually comes in the BB kits.

Quick question---I just brewed my first batch on my own last Tuesday, a Brewer's Best Irish Stout. It took a good 24-30 hours to start showing activity in the airlock and was fermenting nicely through Friday morning, when we left town for a quick weekend trip. When we came back today, the airlock had stopped bubbling, so I checked the SG and it was at .030 (OG was .046 and estimated FG .011-.014), and the brew has a slight bitter taste. Should I be concerned that my beer is ruined, or is this fairly normal? I was pretty strict about making sure everything was sanitized, but I'm concerned some contaminents may still have wrecked my beer.

P.S.- I used White Labs' liquid Irish Ale Yeast instead of the dry packet that usually comes in the BB kits.

That gravity is high. What is the temperature it's been at? If you've been out of town, maybe it's been in a cold house for a couple days? A sudden drop in temperature can cause the yeast to drop out of suspension and stop working, so that might be related if that's what happened. First, make sure you're working in the right temperature range. For that yeast I think mid 60's should be fine. I would gently twist the fermenter back and forth a bit to stir the yeast up from the bottom, then just let it sit for a couple weeks, and check it again. I wouldn't worry so much about your beer being infected at this point unless you see actual signs of infection. There is a thread on here called "post pictures of your infection" or something like that where you can see what various infections look like. But in any case after less than a week, there's pretty much no way that is the issue at hand. Just let it go for a bit more.

Revvy, I wish I had a cat hump my fermenter! Might speed things along! My first brew is at 7 days in the fermenter and it still hasn't completely finished. I think I might need to head to the pet store to get a "Brew-helping" cat.

… and the brew has a slight bitter taste. …
A couple of little stories on bitterness and patience.

I brewed the AHS 1554 clone back in July. I did a full boil which caused it to be VERY hoppy and bitter. Today (6 months later) it tastes very much like the original 1554.

I brewed a Robust Honey Barrel Porter and it too was bitter and tasted salty at bottle time. It turns out the Honey dryness combined with the astringents from the Oak combined to make it seem salty. It still had some of the bitter astringents from the Oak after 1 month. After 2 months all is well. In fact my Son-in-law said, “I’d buy that!” It made my day.

As for your brew, your stout has 4 oz. Rousted Barley and 4 oz. Black Patent. These have a lot of astringency perceived as bitterness and will take time to mellow.

Give it a good twist and check gravity in a week or so. Once you reach desired FG and bottle, just give it a few months in the bottle and I think you will have a nice stout.

I did my first beer a couple months ago, and the same thing happened to me.. I was freakin' out... but, my experienced brewing friend said: "walk away and don't let it make you crazy! come back in three weeks and bottle it up"

he was right!

Thank you, Weirdboy & Beer Guy. I'll just give it more time and see what develops. The temp has been at a consistent 67-70 degrees, so it should be fine and I'm probably just being hasty.

I really appreciate the input. I can tell already that this site's going to be a great resource.

Back