Is my first batch doing okay?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just started my first batch of 1 gal. of mead a few days ago, and so far, it is not fermenting as fast as I expected it to (it's releasing a bubble every 7-8 seconds). I'm used about a third of a packet of Lalvin EC-1118 and 4 lbs of honey in my batch. For reference, I have a batch of cider going that is using the same type and amount of yeast, and it is bubbling at about 1 bubble every second. Is this normal?

Did you use nutrients, and are you degassing?
I did not put any nutrients in; it's just water, honey, and yeast. As for degassing, the mead has only been in primary for a few days, so I am not degassing, if that is what you meant (I'm new to brewing, so I don't know all of the brewing vernacular).

Degassing is stirring the must to release CO2.

Did you aerate the must by shaking vigorously prior to adding the yeast?
Did you you rehydrate your yeast or sprinkle it in dry?
Do you have a hydrometer to take specific gravity readings?

4 lbs of honey per gal of mead is quite a lot and I suspect your yeast is a bit overwhelmed in trying to get started. Not only that but they are going to be nutrient/nitrogen deficient as they attempt to replicate and handle this amount of sugar.

If you do a search for "TOSNA 3.0" you will find lots of useful information on good mead making techniques. Give it a quick read, come back to this thread with questions and there are many here who will be able to help you in getting this batch to a good end.

If you let it go as is, it’s mostly likely going to stall, and will need a long time to age out the off flavors from the Stressed yeast. I would recommend adding about a qt of water to bring down your gravity a bit, degas daily, and add some nutrients.

Last edited:
@Silverfishstix take the above advice. Airlock activity is not the best way to check fermentation activity, so you could benefit from investing in a hydrometer or refractometer to measure specific gravity or Brix. The yeast you chose can handle high alcohol, however it would like “step feedings” in other words not all the honey all at once. As a beginning mead maker keep it simple to get the process worked out. Finally, welcome to the forum.:yes:

If you too have any nutrients available, even some boiled bread yeast will work. Or if you don’t mind making this a melomel, adding juice or 3-6lbs of fruit to it (in a bucket) will also add some needed nutrients.

Thanks for all of the replies! I have siphoned off a little under a quarter gallon of must and added water, then added an eighth teaspoon of LD Carlson yeast nutrient, which I'll add every few days.

Back