Is my final gravity too high on my sour mashed beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bisco_Ben

Reaction score
Hello everyone, so 3 weeks ago I sour mashed/brewed a basic wheat beer with some nelson hops. I sour mashed 50% of the bill with L. Brevis and as you can imagine the wort became pretty acidic. So much so that the US-05 was only able to take 1.045 wort down to 1.017 in 3 weeks. The carboy has been sitting for 2 weeks at 70*F and seems to have stopped, since any other beers of mine would have been down to 1.012 or lower with the 05 at this point. The hydrometer sample tasted absolutely awesome, but my question is: Should I dry hop and keg as is and accept this as my final gravity? OR, should I maybe add some sort of other yeast (champagne?) to try and get the gravity down a bit more? I am unsure of what to do since this is only my 2nd sour beer ever. ANY insight would be very much appreciated! :mug:

I don't have much experience with Lacto, but I would think you should probably give it another week or two. What temp did you mash at?

use some saison yeast. 3711 or belle saison should be able to get it down to 1.005 or below

Well my sour mash was at 162 for 40 minutes then raised to 170 for 10. My main mash was actually around 145 because i messed up so I doubt mashing high was the issue. Also, my first (less sour) sour mash was same process but got down to 1.010 no problem. So Im going to assume this is an acidity issue with the US-05. Im going to try adding the belle saison dry yeast and see what happens, thanks!

Well mystikhybrid, i was thinking that but figured 1.017 is too high for a sour wheat. Anyone agree/disagree with that?

Back