Is my fermenter doomed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Immocles

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey folks
A friend of mine came across a gallon jug on a family farm a few weeks back. It was quite dirty and soiled, but I told him I'd take a shot at it getting it clean. I soaked it for about a week and scrubbed around with a brush as best I can, but I can not seem to get a few orange/yellow splotchy areas clean. Is it possible that the glass is simply stained and safe to use? I'm involved zero dollars, and its only a 1G jug so simply tossing it is definitely an option if using it will cost me a gallon brew.

Pics to follow!

C0777543-711B-4A8B-BFD9-FD2484762E8E.jpeg
E080BEE5-7D58-4423-A870-AFD4003A1D57.jpeg
865FF307-BBFE-4BD9-840C-014741D2FE8C.jpeg

Did you use some scouring powder such as Barkeeper's Friend (or plain Comet) on the brush to get those small patches out?
If they don't come off with that, I don't think they ever will and belong there.

Just sanitize well before fermenting a batch of beer in it.

Thanks for the replies. I soaked it in oxyclean for about 30 hours for the initial clean, that took care of a good chunk of it. Then it sat on a pretty strong solution of pbw for 4-5 days.

I think I’ll give the comet or bleach a shot. I know we have that lying around somewhere

The BKF suggested by @IslandLizard would be fine, or if you have citric acid or lemon juice that would be good. Vinegar should work as well -- people even use ketchup for cleaning stains like this.

Stuff like oxiclean removes organic residue (and bleach works in a similar fashion), but you need an acid to remove inorganic residue. It helps dissolve metals, metal oxides, and many salt residues.

Hmm, gotcha. Thank you!

I debated dumping a can of coke in there to see if it took anything off. Had luck with that in the past, but I'm running low on cans in these trying times.

Yup, the phosphoric acid is also how it eats through your teeth. ;)

Coke wouldn't be my first choice because it's so dilute. Weak acids are probably better for this because they're non-hazardous in relatively high concentrations.

Last edited:
Back