Is my fermentation chamber still good to use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newsman

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So, I haven't been doing too good in keeping my fermentation chamber clean and free of mold, etc. It appears to have infected my last brew, a melomel/cyser. I just tasted it after leaving it in the fermentation chamber (small chest freezer) set to about 35*. It was sour. Tasted a bit like a berlinerweisse,so I'm pretty sure it's infected. :( I think I know HOW it got infected too... but that's not the question. The question is, can I spray the inside (and outside) of my chest freezer with a bleach/water solution and still use it or do I need to chuck it and start over with a new "fermentation chamber?"
I'm pretty sure I'm gonna be chucking the big mouth bubbler I was using as I'm pretty sure it's not safe to use a plastic bottle that's held something with lacto/pedio in it. :)

I wouldn't be tossing a working chest freezer because it got moldy. Bleach mix with a scouring pad should do the trick. Do it twice for the hell of it.

What were the ingredients in the melomel/cyser? Using fruit can produce an acidic/tart flavor that is similar to Berlinerweiss. Also, different honey has different PH levels.
You might not have an infection at all.

So, I haven't been doing too good in keeping my fermentation chamber clean and free of mold, etc. It appears to have infected my last brew, a melomel/cyser. I just tasted it after leaving it in the fermentation chamber (small chest freezer) set to about 35*. It was sour. Tasted a bit like a berlinerweisse,so I'm pretty sure it's infected. :( I think I know HOW it got infected too... but that's not the question. The question is, can I spray the inside (and outside) of my chest freezer with a bleach/water solution and still use it or do I need to chuck it and start over with a new "fermentation chamber?"
I'm pretty sure I'm gonna be chucking the big mouth bubbler I was using as I'm pretty sure it's not safe to use a plastic bottle that's held something with lacto/pedio in it. :)
You can totally use a plastic bottle for regular beers after using it for a sour... You just need to clean and sanitize it first... The effects are drastically over dramatized here..Ive done berliners in my system with my equipment.. no issues. if your really concerned put the big mouth bubbler out in the sun for a few hrs, the uv llight helps kill any bacteria.

MaryB -- I had opened it to taste before I cold-crashed. I was letting it bulk age.
MadScientist -- I was using straight juice. I will taste, but I'm pretty sure I saw some pellicle on top of the melomel.
Augie... Didn't think of that. Just figured I have three BMBs, so why not just toss the "infected" one? :) I like your plan.I'll put it outside for a few days and leave it at that.

Back