Is my beer infected?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewManChoo

Reaction score
I was experimenting with a new rye recipe, it tastes and smells bad after a week in primary. I've never had this happen, and this is my 14th batch.

Does this look infected to you?

4QBv38z.jpg

Or is it the recipe, or even the style? It is right at FG after a week.

Roggenbier
All Grain (5 gal) ABV: 8.14 %
OG: 1.080 SG FG: 1.019 SG
IBUs: 23.5 IBUs Color: 15.7 SRM

8 lb - Rye Malt
(45.7%) - 4.7 SRM

8 lb - Pale Malt (2 Row) US
(45.7%) - 2.0 SRM

8.0 oz - Chocolate Rye Malt
(2.9%) - 250.0 SRM

1 lb - Rye, Flaked
(5.7%) - 2.0 SRM

1.50 oz - Liberty
Boil 60 min (22.0 IBUs)

0.50 oz - Liberty
Boil 5 min (1.5 IBUs)

2 pkg - Bavarian Weizen Yeast
White Labs #WLP351

Just looks like yeast rafts and kicked up trub, doesn't appear to be infected.

Is this the first time you've used that particular yeast strain?
Can you expand on the defects you think are apparent?
"Bad" covers a lot of area...

Cheers!

Thanks guys, the thing is, I've never used this yeast, these hops, or rye. I've also never made such a big beer. So hopefully it is just green. Any thoughts on the recipe itself? Perhaps it just needs some age.

By bad, I mean it just doesn't taste good to drink. It doesn't taste like rotten milk, eggs, sulfur, horse blanket, or any of that sort of thing. I have gotten used to tasting warm, flat beer straight from primary, and I know it is never as good as the final product.

Edit: I had a true weizen the other day and recognized that "bad" flavor. Turns out this is just the style of the yeast....blech!

You guys, it actually turned out pretty darn good. I gave it a gelatin treatment to try to clarify it a bit. But the flavors mellowed with some time, and bottling.

I appreciate everyone's feedback!

Back