Is my beer done

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petergriffen

Reaction score
Okay so it is a strong IPA, dont have recipe. og was 1.089 and now it is at 1.024 2.5 weeks later. Checked it two days ago and it was just around 1.024. Should i expect it to go down lower? Thanks

That would depend on your recipe, but 1.024 sounds like decent attenuation.

Edit: Somehow didn't notice that you did not have the recipe. Do you at least know what yeast you used, or whether you used anything besides malt for your fermentables?

alot of people leave the beer in primary for a month and then just bottle its a whole topic that you can read on here on the forum.and with out the recipe i dont know if its reached it fg there fore not knowing if its ready to bottle.

Yeah I read a bunch. I think it is done. I used US 05. I think i should of used two packets though. I read divide the og by 4 and your done so some where around 1.023 is that. I used around 9 lbs dme and a few pounds of grain.

Yeah I read a bunch. I think it is done. I used US 05. I think i should of used two packets though. I read divide the og by 4 and your done so some where around 1.023 is that. I used around 9 lbs dme and a few pounds of grain.

This may be an acceptable "rule of thumb" for your first couple of brews, but be wary of this in the future. When you generate a recipe (ESPECIALLY easy with software like BrewSmith) you should be able to calculate your target FG.

a beer with that amount of yeast and with the high starting gravity you had is probably done. Generally beers with a high starting gravity require an especially large pitch of yeast in order for them to attenuate properly (ie below 1.020)...Pliny is a great example Next time if you want it to finish lower, use more yeast or liquid yeast with a large starter. I'm sure it will still be good

go to Mrmalty.com and plug in your numbers... Sounds like you underpitched. A malty IPA doesn't sound bad.

Back