is midwestsupplies a good place to get a recipe kit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dude422

Reaction score
I'm a new guy, haven't even received my equipment kit yet, but I'm wondering about recipe kits. I am up in Potsdam, NY so I am too far away from a LHBS, and I was wondering where is a good place to get a recipe kit. I was planning on getting one from midwestsupplies.com(where I'll be getting my equipment from) but I wanted to run it by here first.

Is this a good place to get a recipe kit? should I even bother with a recipe kit or just get ingredients from somewhere and follow a recipe.

Thanks to any and all who comment.

Midwest is one of the top online supply houses. I've made probably 30 - 40 of their recipes and never had a issue. They have lots to choose from and the paper catalog they send you is a great reference guide when you start order individual ingredients.

Start with a few kits to get your feet wet. After you learn what you like and how the ingredients work, you can start modifying to your liking.

i second midwest for online orders. i have probably made ten of their kits and the beer was always turned out delicious and their service is excellent. fast shipping and good email communication when i had a prob with an order once. highly reccomended

I just picked up a couple cheap ones at Northern Brewer; Heard good stuff about them (First one is fermenting now).

Never bought a kit from Midwest, but when not using the LHBS they're my online store for supplies and grains. You won't be disappointed in their customer service!

Never had a problem with them, fast and reliable. Most people rate their kits highly. Personally, I have had to start recipes rather than use kits to get my beer they way I want it, but even so, the ingredients are still first rate. I only buy from there now.

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Any ideas for a few good beginner levels kits? especially from those who have used midwest in the past.

I've done a couple of midwest kits, their Oktoberfest (I used an ale yeast with it instead of lager) and their big river brown ale, and am planning on making their oatmeal stout next. The two that I have made were pretty easy, and I would think pretty much any of their extract kits would be. My suggestion is to get one that will make a type of beer you like to drink.

I think if you just want to get a kit and start brewing, you can't go wrong with one of Midwest's 20-minute kits. They aren't as complex as the extract with grains, but you'll have fun and won't be overwhelmed trying to keep track of what is what. You just boil the extract for 20 minutes, add some hops, cool it, put it in your fermenter and add the yeast.

I remember how paranoid (and impatient) I was getting with sanitation and everything on my first batch. This would be a great way to make 5 really good gallons of beer quickly without worrying about temperatures and hop schedules.

I think all of those kits follow the same method, so the style would be up to you.

After you get that one done, then you can move on to steeping grains and amaze yourself with the flavors you can create with hot water and crushed up bits of barley.

I think if you just want to get a kit and start brewing, you can't go wrong with one of Midwest's 20-minute kits. They aren't as complex as the extract with grains, but you'll have fun and won't be overwhelmed trying to keep track of what is what. You just boil the extract for 20 minutes, add some hops, cool it, put it in your fermenter and add the yeast.

I remember how paranoid (and impatient) I was getting with sanitation and everything on my first batch. This would be a great way to make 5 really good gallons of beer quickly without worrying about temperatures and hop schedules.

I think all of those kits follow the same method, so the style would be up to you.

After you get that one done, then you can move on to steeping grains and amaze yourself with the flavors you can create with hot water and crushed up bits of barley.

I had no idea they had 20 minute kits! That sounds like fun, and a good way to dip the toe in the water. Rest assured, Midwest will have a reasonable (If not excellent) product in that sphere of brewing.

Are they good for kegging kits as well? I'm looking at the Brew Logic Dual Tap dual keg setup ($200...best price so far).

thanks!
Paul

I got that kit from them a few months ago. At the time it was the best deal I could find and I've had no problems with any of it. :)

I got that kit from them a few months ago. At the time it was the best deal I could find and I've had no problems with any of it. :)

I also bought that keg starter kit. Only problem was some O-rings weren't new. A phone call fixed that quickly.

As far as receipes, I only ordered extract from them and never had a problem. They are pretty low cost and if you order more than one, you save on shipping.

They are my go to online brew supplier, however with how awesome my LHBS is, I hardly ever order from them now.

Mike

Are they good for kegging kits as well? I'm looking at the Brew Logic Dual Tap dual keg setup ($200...best price so far).

thanks!
Paul

I started with that kit, and have purchased 5 more kegs from them as well. Excellent all around. Their kegs are reconditioned, meaning they ship cleaned and sanitized with new O-rings.

Midwest Supplies is terrific. They and Northern Brewer are my online source for just about everything.

I just got into the brewing hobby a couple months ago and started with a Sierra Nevade pale ale clone kit from Midwest and even though it was my first brew it came out so good that I like it better than the store bought sierra nevada.

I am lucky I only live 3 miles from Midwest :) so I can go right to the store and pick things out.

I echo everything stated above.

I have done 10+ extract kits from them and appreciate the simple to follow instructions (including a dvd if you request it).

They are 2 days shipping from me which is good for keeping the yeasts alive and my patience in check.

Not knowing what you like, it is hard to recommend a good kit. I have had great sucess with their IPA kits (Hop Scare and Double IPA specifically) and their Irish Red was a hit with all. I also have a Belgian Ale fermenting now which LOOKS really good.

Let us know what you selected.

Thanks everyone for the great responses.

I decided to check out one of those 20 minute boil kits to start with and kind of get my feet wet. I decided on the American ale one. I also decided to get a 2nd kit of a newcastle clone. I think that one will be really good.

With that being said, how do i store the new castle clone kit until I'm ready to use it?

I guess I didn't think that one through.

Thanks everyone for the great responses.

I decided to check out one of those 20 minute boil kits to start with and kind of get my feet wet. I decided on the American ale one. I also decided to get a 2nd kit of a newcastle clone. I think that one will be really good.

With that being said, how do i store the new castle clone kit until I'm ready to use it?

I guess I didn't think that one through.

Storage: cool and dry for everything. Extract in the fridge, especially

You will have fun!

Back