Is John Palmer Wacko?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iBrewBeer

Reaction score
Why is there such a big discrepancy in Palmer's all grain recipes between his book and webpage?

For example, the porter recipe in his latest edition book mentions using 8.5 lbs of Pale Ale Malt but his online recipe says to use 7.5 lbs. (all other ingredient amounts are the same)?

Just wacky.........

Because its the first edition on the web site, and I'd take a guess and say your hard copy is 3rd edition?

I'd imagine he's tweaked the recipe over the years.

Edit: Or its a typo.

Because its the first edition on the web site, and I'd take a guess and say your hard copy is 3rd edition?

2nd this. Check the editions you're comparing. He has probably just tweaked his recipes over the years.

I change my recipes all the time. Does that mean I'm a whacko? Wait, don't answer that.

Yes, 3rd edition book and comparing to his "How to Brew" webpage. Doubt it's a typo since his other recipe discrepancies abound.

Funny, if I run the book recipe through BeerSmith it nails the style guideline where the online recipe is way off.........

Yes, that's just wacko to me.

Yeah he has tweaked some of his recipes, but also with the amount of research and discovery in the world of home brew some of things we took as gospel have changed as well.

Yep, you're right! But why does it say "See the New Beta Site" in the banner (with a dead link) ? Just to aggravate the masses?

Yes, that's just wacko to me.

Dude, if it seriously bothers you that someone would have the audacity to change a recipe, I really don't know what to tell you. Don't use palmer recipes? I'm sure he won't be terribly bothered if you choose to abandon his recipes.

Funny, if I run the book recipe through BeerSmith it nails the style guideline where the online recipe is way off.........

BTW, the numbers i'm getting on the online version (using 75% efficiency) are 1.042 for an OG, which is just fine by the style guidelines (1.040-1.052 for brown porter). What numbers were you getting that were way off?

Dude, if it seriously bothers you that someone would have the audacity to change a recipe, I really don't know what to tell you. ........

"Dude", that's funny........... Yuk, Yuk......

I love Palmer's recipe's. Been working my way through his recipe list and have never been let down.

You could email him and ask. [email protected]

Rather than continue this thread, which is starting to go down in flames, take Beerific's suggestion and send him a note. I've gotten good responses to all of the big names I've emailed with questions.

That said, the first edition has a few errors, he's admitted as much. It's a great resource, but I would trust the newest available version if'n it were me.

That said, the first edition has a few errors, he's admitted as much. It's a great resource, but I would trust the newest available version if'n it were me.

Heck, he'll even admit there are things that need changing in the latest edition, due to new ways of thinking and revised methods in the last few years.

Because he is wacko!! I mean he quit his regular day job to do only brewing stuff....who does that? :)

Brew Strong John Palmer!!!

Is JP wacko? You decide...

DSCN0227.jpg

I believe he freely admits there are errors in the online version. It kind of motivates people to buy the print version where the accurate information is. BTW, you've just help him do that. :D

I give my beers names (Samantha, Veronica, etc.) and talk to them while they sit in their fermenters in my basement. Am I a wacko? :drunk:

Wait, don't answer that....

Mike

I give my beers names (Samantha, Veronica, etc.) and talk to them while they sit in their fermenters in my basement. Am I a wacko? :drunk:

Wait, don't answer that....

Mike

I noticed last night as I was practicing the Bangles' version of Hazy Shade of Winter on guitar, the airlock seemed to bubble a little more excitedly...

But at least I didn't talk to it! :cross:

Latest posts

Back