is it too late to add bugs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sipNswirl

Reaction score
Hi there, I brewed a very malty beer with munich, rye and crystal on wednesday. it's down to 1.012 and tastes too malty for my liking. i was thinking about adding some commercial lacto to sour it up a little bit.
is it too late for bugs? if so can i add some sugar at the same time for some food?
I've never done a sour beer before. cheers!

WY or WL lacto isnt going to do anything at this point in your beer, the alcohol will inhibit it

You could add other bugs, and especially bottle dregs

But, I dont think it will always make a good beer, I think too many people have the idea now that brett/pedio/etc are a fix all, and its not, it used to be that everyone thought champagne yeast was a cure all for problems with attenuation etc, it wasnt either

if its too malty brew up another batch, but make it very dry and hoppy, then blend in your glass

WY or WL lacto isnt going to do anything at this point in your beer, the alcohol will inhibit it

You could add other bugs, and especially bottle dregs

But, I dont think it will always make a good beer, I think too many people have the idea now that brett/pedio/etc are a fix all, and its not, it used to be that everyone thought champagne yeast was a cure all for problems with attenuation etc, it wasnt either

if its too malty brew up another batch, but make it very dry and hoppy, then blend in your glass

ya blending could be an option. i thought lacto could handle up to about 9%? I wouldn't mind trying it just as an experiment, but there isn't much point if i won't get an accurate representation of what the bugs can do.

From my understanding, WL and WY lacto strains are very touchy, best used prior to your yeast.

I would try adding some brett if i were you. Or go buy an orval, enjoy it, and then pitch the dregs of it. I think brett b is the strain they use.

Hi there, I brewed a very malty beer with munich, rye and crystal on wednesday. it's down to 1.012 and tastes too malty for my liking. i was thinking about adding some commercial lacto to sour it up a little bit.
is it too late for bugs? if so can i add some sugar at the same time for some food?
I've never done a sour beer before. cheers!
I wouldn't add lacto. I would attempt to dry it out a little more, and then add dregs from Bruery's Saison Rue or Jolly Pumpkin's Maracaibo Especial. Wait like 6 months and see what you end up with.

It sounds like you have a great base beer, it definitely has potential!

Back