Is it time for a new keg (before first kegging)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alamadl

Reaction score
Hello,
This is my first post and want to thank the community for all of the knowledge I have gained in my first two years homebrewing. This site is a life saver.

I am building a keezer next week and will keg my first beer. I picked up a couple pin lock kegs of of craigslist for $20/each. I was cleaning them today to get the soda smell out when I noticed they don't seal correctly. With no pressure they leak when I shake them. I have read on the forums that this can be normal w/o pressure. I plan on trying lube but want a plan B.

I'm ordering my keg system tomorrow and am wondering if I should get 2 ball lock kegs and disregard the two pin lock kegs I have due to the leaking. I hate to spend the extra money, but am concerned that the first time I try to keg, it will go wrong because the seal isn't good (which I won't know until I put pressure in.)

My questions are- Are there any huge benefits to using a ball lock vs. a pin lock and how worried should I be that there is not a tight seal w/o pressure?

Thanks for any information you can provide!

i never used pin locks so I can't comment on the differences, but the leak will almost certainly go away if you change the O ring. virtually all LHBS will have them for a few bucks. Give that a try before buying more expensive things.

The person I purchased them from did replace the O rings, so they are only a couple weeks old. I'm hoping that the lube will help as much me as much as it has helped others.

Kegs,whether Pin-lock or Ball-lock, will almost always leak if not pressurized. I can fill a keg with cleaner and turn it upside down without pressure and cleaner will almost always leak out around the cap. Sometimes they still leak pressure when they are'nt pressurized enough. I usually (seat) the cap with at least 20psi and always get an airtight seal. Don't replace your kegs until you try seating the lid properly.

Yeah, I'd hold off on freaking out just yet about leaks if you haven't pressurized them any. Most need atleast a couple pounds of pressure to seat them properly.

Yesterday I finished rebuilding a ball lock keg that a buddy gave me (after I rinsed out the rocks, dirt, and river debris). When I was shaking it to rinse the oxyclean and water out, the lid leaked. After I placed new gaskets, a light coat of keg lube, and hit it with a mere 12 lbs of pressure, presto sealo. If you have any doubts about it, place 1/2 gallon or so of sanitizer into the keg, hit it with CO2, and verify that it seals before racking your beer into it. Helps ensure your equipment is working properly, and decreases exposure to oxygen during the transfer. Win win.

Yesterday I finished rebuilding a ball lock keg that a buddy gave me (after I rinsed out the rocks, dirt, and river debris). When I was shaking it to rinse the oxyclean and water out, the lid leaked. After I placed new gaskets, a light coat of keg lube, and hit it with a mere 12 lbs of pressure, presto sealo. If you have any doubts about it, place 1/2 gallon or so of sanitizer into the keg, hit it with CO2, and verify that it seals before racking your beer into it. Helps ensure your equipment is working properly, and decreases exposure to oxygen during the transfer. Win win.

+1

You don't need to wait until you put your beer in there to be sure it seals. Add pressure first, and if it seals fine, *then* rack the beer into it.

Hell, I think it's good form to put sanitizer it in and pop some pressure on it and swish the sanitizer around, EVERYTIME, before I rack beer to it.

FATC1TY said:
Hell, I think it's good form to put sanitizer it in and pop some pressure on it and swish the sanitizer around, EVERYTIME, before I rack beer to it.

I meant to include that portion but was too tired when I typed it out - thanks for picking up my slack!

I meant to include that portion but was too tired when I typed it out - thanks for picking up my slack!

No worries.. I figure most do it, but was worth noting. I actually store empty kegs that way.. Put maybe 1/2 gal in the keg, close it up, pop it with gas, and swish it around.. Leave them sitting for when they are about to be filled...

Thanks for the help and quick response guys! I feel better about using the kegs I already have knowing that it's more normal than I thought!

Back