Is it safe to finish ferm at room temps? (SOFC)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anonguest

Reaction score
Right now I have a Son of Fermentation Chiller (SOFC) that I use to ferment one batch at a time. I'd like to step it up and be able to have more than one batch going at one time without having to invest in another SOFC or some other means of chilling my fermenter.

My average fermentation process so far for my ales has been to start at 62°F , hold for a week and step up a few degrees every day or so until I'm around 72°F . This will generally take 2 weeks. I've heard from many sources (Palmer, etc.) that keeping your beer on the yeast for 4 weeks is desired.

What I'm wondering is after that initial stepping up to 72°F if I can safely remove the bucket from the SOFC to room temperatures in my air conditioned apartment to sit on the yeast for that last two weeks so that I can get another batch going in the chilly SOFC?

If I do this I might be looking at off-flavors due to the warmer temps? I'm crossing my fingers that once the fermentaion is completed the temperature is not as crucial to flavor but going to assume that as long as its sitting on the yeast flavor is going to be affected still.

Thanks in advance

Yes, once fermentation is complete, temps do not matter as much. In fact, the higher temps will help keep the yeast actively metabolizing many of the byproducts that may cause off flavors. 4 weeks is probably longer than necessary, but certainly won't hurt (unless your temps are really high and the yeast start dying quickly)

Any off flavors from fermentation would be developed during the rapid/active fermentation period... which is usually the first 4-5 days. After that you are fine. Also, there isn't any real need to slowly step up the temps as the yeast will acclimate quickly to the wamer temps.

This is all I do. Always good results. Gotta keep my pipeline running

I pretty much do that with my SOFC. I start with the temp set 5 degrees lower than what I want to ferment at. When I see the temp starting to rise I set it at 8 degrees less (ex. set at 60 for a 68 degree ferment temp) It always seems to hold there for a few days. When I see the temp starting to drop I dial the thermostat back up a couple of degrees every time I see it drop. Eventually it will stabilize at the temp the thermostat is set. That is when I fell that fermentation is over and it is safe to take it out and put it in room temps, and brew another batch.

As long as the bulk of the fermentation is done you are fine. I'll leave my buckets in the fermentation fridge for at least a week before taking them out. They usually end up staying in there for 2 weeks before I keg, but if I need to brew back to back weekends the first one goes next to the fridge and the new batch goes in.

Thanks to everyone for the great news. Sounds like I can start to double my production so that's fantastic news.

One follow up question:

Where in this process would you recommend adding things like extracts or dry hopping? After or before it has been moved to room temp?

Back