Is it ready to move?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Festivus

Reaction score
I made a red ale on June 6th. OG was 1.055. About 12 hours after pitching, fermentation started. It was pretty vigorous for 24 hours. Second 24 hours was still ok, 3rd 24 hours things slowed considerably. 6/12 I took another reading, and it came out at 1.014. I went to take another reading late on 6/13 and broke my hydrometer before I had a chance to. I am going out of town for a few days, and dont have time to pick up a new hydrometer before I leave. Do you guys think its OK to move it to the secondary before I go? Based on the 1-2-3 method it seems like its ok, but just want to hear thoughts.

1.014 seems a bit high still (target was 1.010) but its not super far away. I used Munton's yeast btw, so maybe it just stopped early like a lot of people have had.

Thanks for the help.

You could probably rack it. 1.014 is fairly close for a final gravity. You could also leave it in primary since your only going to be gone a few days and rack it when you get back, which is what I would do.

Another vote to let it sit.

I personally don't agree with the 1-2-3 thing. One week just isn't enought time to be sure it's done fermenting. I do 2 weeks in primary, and 2 weeks to clear in the carboy.

After reading several posts here on HBT, I don't secondary anymore. I wait three to four weeks in primary, then bottle. Every time you rack a brew you lose a couple beers. I just leave it alone to finish.

Ok sounds good. Guess I'll leave it in there until I get back and then decide if I want to move to a secondary or not. Thanks guys.

Back