Is it possible to die from drinking beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
kornkob said:
However, you forget a possibility: that a determiend alcoholic or frat boy might drink 4 liters, absorb significant alcohol, puke and then begin drinking again. Then this person could rapidly abosrb alcohol while defeating the 4 liter stomach capacity.

I submit that a determined and foolhardy person could in fact give themselves alcohol poisioning and in rather short order using a beer bong.

In college we would do exactly this. We would beer-bong Mickeys Malt Liquor, sometimes with shots of Southern Comfort in it. A couple of those would get the evening started. We would drink until we felt like we were going to puke, then order a pizza. After we puked we would eat, then start drinking again. No one died of alcohol poisoning, but we would sometimes get dangerously drunk. It was pretty stupid, but I'd do it all over again.

On a flight between London and Sydney for the 1989 Ashes series, Boonie, known as "the keg on legs", set the record for most beer consumed on the flight - 52 cans of full strength beer.

Another passionate report of said record claims Boon finished 54 drinks totalling around 19.5 litres of beverages @ 5% alcohol (per 375ml serve), the majority of which consumed at such an altitude that the effects of the alcohol were doubled

Granted that is a 22 hour flight, but that's still less than a day. If they hadn't run out of beer, I reckon he would have drank more.

Aussie Aussie Aussie!!!!

My friend in college once had a Breathalyzer we were messing around one night and I decided it was a good idea to funnel 3 fourty oz bottles of steel reserve. You know the ****ty $2 stuff that is about 8% alcohol. I did those 3 in under 30 minutes and then started sipping on another beer. When I asked for the other beer my friend reluctantly gave it to me and said, you realize you are already drunk right. The alcohol didn't hit me till I was a few sips into the other beer and then it hit like a sack of bricks. All in all I blew a 2.4 before the night was out I forget how many I had after the steel reserves, but I probably could have kept drinking based on auto reflex alone. I don't remember puking in the cat box, but my friends said it happened, all in all it is possible to die from drinking beer, steel reserve isn't really beer, but you get the point.

That's a new one for the HBT vocabulary! :mug:

Puking in the cat box (adj): too drunk to remember the events that occurred the night before.

Eaxmple:
A> How did you get home?
B> Beats me, I was puking in the cat box.

Donasay said:
My friend in college once had a Breathalyzer we were messing around one night and I decided it was a good idea to funnel 3 fourty oz bottles of steel reserve. You know the ****ty $2 stuff that is about 8% alcohol. I did those 3 in under 30 minutes and then started sipping on another beer. When I asked for the other beer my friend reluctantly gave it to me and said, you realize you are already drunk right. The alcohol didn't hit me till I was a few sips into the other beer and then it hit like a sack of bricks. All in all I blew a 2.4 before the night was out I forget how many I had after the steel reserves, but I probably could have kept drinking based on auto reflex alone. I don't remember puking in the cat box, but my friends said it happened, all in all it is possible to die from drinking beer, steel reserve isn't really beer, but you get the point.

One thing to remember about breathalyzers: they aren't terribly precise unless applied correctly.

You usually need to make sure it is dry (none else's spit in it) that you haven't been smoking, eating or drinking in the 10-15 minutes prior, and that you are doing it in an area with relatively clear air (outdoors is best but some properly ventilated indoor rooms work as well).

Also, the typical retail brethalyzer is not able to be properly 'zeroed' because there are no user servicable settings. You have to trust that they made it correctly in the factory.

Be wary of the brethalyzers you can buy and even those that the police use -- they can used in ways that throw results way off.

Donasay said:

Dude I think you mean .24 BAC at over .35 you would be comatose at .45-.50 death the heart and lungs just stop

But anyways you really would pass out before drinking enough beer to cause death. The people who do die drink a distilled beverage in a short period of time say a 750ml bottle in less than an hour when you pass out the body is still taking in the alcohol you ingested.

Like kornkob says the roadside breathalyzer isnt very accurate it can detect alcohol but it readings are far from accutrate. Now an Alcasensor is very accurate but a blood test is the most accurate.

springer said:
Dude I think you mean .24 BAC at over .35 you would be comatose at .45-.50 death the heart and lungs just stop

But anyways you really would pass out before drinking enough beer to cause death. The people who do die drink a distilled beverage in a short period of time say a 750ml bottle in less than an hour when you pass out the body is still taking in the alcohol you ingested.

That is just not true. Your statement has no basis in science. A heart does not 'just stop' because of ethanol ingestion. Please stop repeating old wives tales as facts, your scaring the kids.

paulthenurse said:
That is just not true. Your statement has no basis in science. A heart does not 'just stop' because of ethanol ingestion. Please stop repeating old wives tales as facts, your scaring the kids.

but he is right i did mean a .24 not a 24

it can certainly slow your heart rate and breathing and can inhibit your gag reflex. it could shut down your systems, according to some things i've read.

"In addition, alcohol poisoning can affect your respiratory and heart functions to the point of shutting them down, causing death."

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/alcohol-poisoning/DS00861/DSECTION=6

I knew a guy I went to elementary school with that I found out died when he was about 22 with an blood alc level of .8 yes point 8 not point zero 8.

I think it was literally suicide by alcohol. Troubled kid that one.

I really don't believe that alcohol is inherently bad for you, though. In fact, my cardiologist used to tell me to drink more. That was before I started homebrewing.

pldoolittle said:
So if I come to the ER pissed and try to leave, you will tie me to a bed an medicate me? So if I wake up and try to leave again before the meds wear off, will you tie me up and medicate me again?

This could work out great!

Oh my LOL!

:mug:

Killing yourself via alcohol consumption of any kind would be a rather impressive feat. I am sure it is possible but you would really have to try, and maybe be taking drugs. While in college I tried out a few of the suggested causes for death by alcohol listed in this thread... none came close. First, in my first week (welcome week) of college, my roommate and I each bonged a case of High Life in about an hour and a half. Went out, fell alot, cam home vomitted, passed out, woke up with a lot of strange video footage. Next, 750ml of Fleischmann's Vodka, every Friday and Saturday for about 2 months, again lots of hazy days and lots of vomit. We were really committed drinkers and partiers for a solid year, and I can honestly tell you I would be amazed to see anyone who could force a lethal amount of alcohol into themselves.

That said, I am sure it is possible, but you would have to be trying to commit suicide to die. As stated earlier, it would not be surprising to die of any number of other causes while drinking heavily.

As for the OP's friend, never trust someone who doesn't drink.

homebrewer_99 said:
Don't give the CIA any ideas...beer-boarding...OK, WHAT'S YOUR RECIPE???

Ha, that's funny.

Speaking of I just finsinhed saying to someone that I feel like I should be working for the CIA. I happened to have the energizer for a electric fence in my hand at the time. :)

Denny's Evil Concoctions said:
Ha, that's funny.

Speaking of I just finsinhed saying to someone that I feel like I should be working for the CIA. I happened to have the energizer for a electric fence in my hand at the time. :)
...be wary, wary qwiet...we're hunting (Energizer) wabbits. huhhuhuhuh!:mug:

homebrewer_99 said:
...be wary, wary qwiet...we're hunting (Energizer) wabbits. huhhuhuhuh!:mug:

I actually wrote a short filbased on freeing the energozer rabbit from his bonds of slavery from the engerizer company.

The reason fro the fence. Damn deer. II love how the instructions say to bait the fence with aluminum foil with peanut butter on it to attarct the deer so they sniff or lick it and get a shock. That's so CIA.

Boerderij Kabouter said:
Killing yourself via alcohol consumption of any kind would be a rather impressive feat. I am sure it is possible but you would really have to try

Must not be that hard...

"The annual average number of deaths for which alcohol poisoning was listed as an underlying cause was 317, with an age-adjusted death rate of 0.11 per 100,000 population. An average of 1,076 additional deaths included alcohol poisoning as a contributing cause, bringing the total number of deaths with any mention of alcohol poisoning to 1,393 per year (0.49 per 100,000 population). Males accounted for more than 80 percent of these deaths."

Vorsicht709 said:
Okay before I continue I know alcohol is bad for you this is only to settle an argument I am having with a friend (who thinks alcohol is the devil).

Is it possible to drink your self to death on beer?? We are arguing over whether you can actually drink enough beer AT ONE TIME to get lethal ALCOHOL POSIONING. I know about the negative aspects of alcohol and prolonged excessive consumption and that there is numerous things that are alcohol related that can cause death. But the arugement seems to be that it is physically impossible to fit enough beer into your stomach to cause lethal alcohol poisoning.

Before i get inevitably flamed i have tried googling it but i could not find a website that looked only at beer consumption in one sitting.

Fully admitting that I read some, but not all of this thread, this may have been answered: a person can die of alcohol poisoning from consuming only beer.

The scenario plays out like this: person starts drinking beer, and keeps drinking beer until they reach a point where they start peeing out the same volume they're taking in. Now every beer they consume (and absorb) puts fluid and alcohol into the blood. The kidney sees this increase in volume and kicks out fluid to maintain a normal level, but leaves the alcohol behind. Assuming that you drink beer at a faster rate than you break down the alcohol, it's just a matter of time before you build up to a dangerous blood alcohol level.

Having said that, the people that I've seen who died of acute alcohol poisoning were all drinking vodka by the case.

Oh, and in response to the few posts I saw about "well I used to drink XXXX and I was fine" .... remember, not all versions of alcohol dehydrogenase are made equal. "Lightweights" and "heavyweights" are real things when you're talking about alcohol metabolism.

Last month we admitted a lady with a BAC of .680... and she left AMA a few hours later :drunk:

I think the boys did an episode where they drank and measured their level of intoxication on a breathalizer, then tried various means of 'tricking' the breathalizer. None of them worked, but it was funny watching those two knuckleheads hammered.

PTN

Denny's Evil Concoctions said:
I'd rather see the chick on the show hammered, preferably at a local bar. She looks fun. :D
mythbuster-kari.jpg

I think they went over this on Manswers on the SPIKE network.. but I can't find the epsiode

1 5% beer every 15 minutes for a 180# man for 5 hours = 0.45

1 5% beer every 30 mintues for 180# man for 10 hours = 0.36

quote from web site - A BAC of .37%-.40% or higher can cause death.
BACs of .45% and higher are fatal to nearly all individuals

I'd say yes very possiable

I have to wonder about a college buddies bro. Back in the day he would drink case of beer then guzzle in one shot a 26er of rum, then head to the bar. His roommate was also a alcoholic. They had a entertainment console in the corner of the living room. They had "targets" hanging above it that they would fire beer caps at. I looked back there once. The beer caps were piled 3 feet high.

paulthenurse said:

Not an old wives tale ethanol is a barbiturate it slows all involuntary actions. If you have enough it will stop respirations and heart rate

"The medulla controls basic survival functions such as breathing and heartbeat and is the last portion of your brain to be affected. When you've consumed so much alcohol that the medulla is affected, your brain's ability to control respiration and heart rate is severely diminished. "

edit:spelling

olllllo said:
The controlling variable here seems to be the level of human stupidity.
This is a varible that one should not underestimate.

Ah yes, good thing barprducts.com sells the inflatable beer bong. Rolls up and fits in your pocket. Now you can conveniently kill brain cells anywhere anytime.

jelly-funnel-scene.jpg

DeathBrewer said:
it can certainly slow your heart rate and breathing and can inhibit your gag reflex. it could shut down your systems, according to some things i've read.

"In addition, alcohol poisoning can affect your respiratory and heart functions to the point of shutting them down, causing death."

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/alcohol-poisoning/DS00861/DSECTION=6

I guess the Mayo clinic should stop spreading these old wives tales

FEARDIZ said:
I think they went over this on Manswers on the SPIKE network.. but I can't find the epsiode

Now that is surely the gold standard of medical research, Manswers on the SPIKE Network! I guess I can stop paying all that money for my JAMA subscription.

FEARDIZ said:
quote from web site - A BAC of .37%-.40% or higher can cause death.
BACs of .45% and higher are fatal to nearly all individuals
I guess that instead of mornings discharges for the 2-3 drunks who arrive on our doorstep every night with BAL's north of 400 we should send them to the morgue instead. That appears to be the standard of care advised by the SPIKE network.

Note to self. Call Ian and ask him to order us up a sh1tload of shrouds, looks like were going to need them.

Back