Is it possible to cork 500ml "champagne/Belgian" beer bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drewch

Amateur Zymologist.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have corked Belgian style bottles with the red floor corker before. The corks are a very snug fit into the corker, but it can do it if you take your time. It's easier, though, with a champagne corker (which I have now). Since the champagne corker is designed to also work with the larger diameter corks.

I use the same red Italian floor corker @Golddiggie mentioned. I've never had an issue with it. I do however soak my corks in a starsan solution to sanitize them and I apply them wet straight out of the solution.

Like @Murph4231 mentioned, I always put my corks in wet. ;) Drop a bunch into a container of Starsan in prep of using them. Usually I have a good idea of how much volume is being packaged. Still, I'll drop a few in a time as I'm getting close to the expected end. I've had times where I'm a bottle (or two) either short of long of the expected amount.

@Drewch I've always used the corks made for the bottles. They do protrude out of the bottle, which is the most impactful part. Since the red floor corker is more designed to set the corks flush. You can do it, since I have, but you can't just rip through them.

Back